I Forge Iron

Buffalo Forge 616 post drill

I have started the overhaul on 616 , so hopefully this is the cog you are missing, otherwise let me know which other you need looked at.

it stands 3.3 inch tall, the cog teeth are 3 inches across and .8 inch broad , the centre is a .7 inch bore , there are 23 teeth. if you are missing this cog then you don't have the 8 inch shaft and the flywheel ?

the cog is different to the 612 one in the way it is offset to the main body { and has the prevision for the handle to be fitted for the second speed }

post-40976-0-63419500-1412415285_thumb.j

post-40976-0-95175600-1412415299_thumb.j

post-40976-0-88613000-1412415314_thumb.j

and .... check out the mounting plate, it has the holes in it to fit the 616 { you can see which ones it used } or  the 612 drills, the 612 is a smaller body drill and line up spot on with the plate.

I have never seen a metal mount before and at first thought someone had homemade it , but it has the fit for the smaller drill. I am wondering is this a rare find . If anyone has seen one of these plates before please let me know.

post-40976-0-76671500-1412416368_thumb.j

post-40976-0-28175600-1412416395_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

JTF, came back to reference the size and realized I had never posted a thank you. I appreciate your time. Hope to find that third wheel about the time I get t his drill broke over. Thanks again. Also mine  has that same metal mounting plate.Will post pics soon hopefully.

• 5 years later...

Found your forum/discussion while researching drill presses. Seems that nearly every new drill press, that I can afford, is made for woodworking :-(

Found ways to gear down my 8 inch press so it can handle bigger holes, then had a brain fart.....;-)

I HAVE a slow drill press! It was my great grandfathers. I am on the fence as to if I should modernize it and use it, make new twist drills, or fashion a Jacobs to fit. Then lengthen the column to make up for the lost space from two chucks. I have about a dozen twist drills for it. Many would cringe at the thought of altering an antique like this, so perhaps I should sell it to a collector, and use the cash to get an electric lol

It is a "Blower and Forge Co #612  Kitchener Ont"

It has auto feed and a flywheel and no rust I can see. Could use a degreasing in fact. I have kept it oiled too. It needs some tightening up, and one repair. The tables column clamp is cracked. It must be repaired to use the press properly. Can't have the table flexing/moving. I used it a week ago, just for fun, with a bit that needed sharpening, and it drilled through 1/4 inch steel with at least a half inch bit, no problems...other than the table moving.

If I keep it, I thought I would put the table on my wood stove to get it hot, then braze it. I know, the brass will show :-(  Again thinking of function, not as an antique. A collector really should have this, as to me it is a tool, and I modify tools.

Example: I have a bunch of Homelite XL-12 chainsaws restored, and a bunch more parts. Collectors don't like to hear this, but I use them for my firewood. Been using them for 20 years ;-) while people working along side me have burnt out several of their new aluminium and plastic saws LMAO They are loud too. One XL-12 can drown out at least 3 newer saws. You MUST wear ear plugs. They are loud enough to make your ears cry- literally...and I used the word literally correctly there. Pet peeve...seems like 99% of humanity now does not know what "literally" means :-(

Anyway I live in Nova Scotia, so probably too far for you fellows to talk me into selling it???

22 minutes ago, Mechanical Cat said:

I live in Nova Scotia,

Welcome aboard, there are several members up your way. I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum.    READ THIS FIRST   It's full of tips like editing your profile to show your location, because we won't remember it once leaving this post. It's a shame we lost a lot of the old pictures during a forum upgrade. We love pictures hint hint.