I Forge Iron

Tumble dryer blower?

Biggusdan

Hi all I was just wondering if anyone has used a tumble dryer fan/blower on their forge. I was tempted to buy a bouncy castle blower for my hobby forge but if I can get away with using a free tumble dryer one I will. Any thoughts? Dan

Yes!  No! Maybe...depending on information you didn't share with us.

Probably too much air for charcoal but you can waste the excess so Yes.

May or may not work with coal depending on it and your set up and your coal.

May or may not work with coke depending on your set up and how big a fire you want to have.

May or may not work with propane or natural gas.

If it's free why not test it and see?

Hi all I was just wondering if anyone has used a tumble dryer fan/blower on their forge. I was tempted to buy a bouncy castle blower for my hobby forge but if I can get away with using a free tumble dryer one I will. Any thoughts? Dan

Depends on you, and the type of dryer, and where you are going to use it,

post-816-0-14822900-1404591201_thumb.jpg

This is one way of using one

Thanks for the input. I have been given a t/d blower but I have not seen it yet so cant say if it will be suitable or not yet. I was just wondering if anyone had used one before.

My hobby forge set up has 1 1/4" inlet pipes with 8 10mm holes as the blast. In the pic I am using charcoal and the air is coming from the bellows (easy to control the air flow) I have already made up a slide valve for the inlet ready for the electric blower, once I have that I will be burning coke.

post-50232-0-89949800-1404656973_thumb.jpost-50232-0-07095100-1404656999_thumb.j