I Forge Iron

my new shipping container smithy

Thanks for all the pix, I like this idea. My only concern would be the chimney, if it's able to move smoke out sufficiently, those containers can be pretty tight? I'll let others chime in who know more about moving that stuff out of an enclosed space.

I can assure you that the chimney works as it should, i've lit the forge a few times and im still alive, admittedly it didn't move ALL the smoke out but i think lighting a newspaper opening in the chimney should get some draft started, either way it doesn't really smoke all that much, not at all actually once i've got the fire well on its way, you see the fire in some picture, that's an unusual amount of flame though but it's because i was burning some woodchips with it, leftovers from a failed attempt at starting it

but if you're concerned about oxygen, then i keep the doors a good bit open while forging, unless there's a crazy storm blowing into the smithy, then i'll probably just stay at home.

there's also a good hole besides the chimney that you don't seein the pictures, there are also holes here and there where it's just rusted through, so any gasses that rise have a way out. 

yet for safety reasons, i'll be finding myself a Co² measuring thingy, or something alike, canary bird if all else fails :D, but until then, which will be soon, i'll evacuate the area as soon as i notice something being off, feeling sleepy,  heavy breathing, nausea and any other things that might be the result of CO poisoning, or internal suffocation, i'll try to get a video of the chimney in action if i go there today

• 5 months later...

Does the whole thing rattle like a drum when you are hammering? I have considered doing something like this for my shop as I am in the city and building a proper shop would be a problem for a number of reasons. I was concerned about space and how the impact/shock on the anvil would be absorbed, let alone the power hammer.

not much progress really but there definately has been some, i haven't really been able to work there because ya know, it's winter here, im not overly fond of the frost and neither is my quench bucket, the light is also an issue but i set up a floodlight so maybe i'll have an update here in the coming days, thanks for reminding me by the way

Hey Iceman, I followed your page tonite n you n I would be dangerous if field together in a military operation.laughing

You definitely cracked me up to the point of tears. An thanks for such cuz tonight was one of nights I no longer look forward too.
That's a awesome idea with your smithy bro,,, The bench seems somewhat low or maybe you're a midget or sit while at the bench. Tryin to be funny there, smile.

As I think you'd have me beat being long winded. An I have such a reputable trait myself n honestly didn't think anyone else could hold a candle to me.laugh
Although enjoyed your words an pictures very much. Please add more too.
I wish I'd gotten a shipping container myself. As I'd be 150k richer n be forging right now. Yet perilous event as it may be, I can only wish for such now. Hired the slowest an most disorganized builder on planet earth. With 2 speeds stop n reverse. Yet cashes checks before the ink dries.

Anyhow, too bad you are so far away. Think I'd enjoy forging with ya. Keep the pictures an progression of smithy coming. I envy you're already forging n I am stuck waiting unfortunately. I would like to ask though? How do you keep the noise level relatively sane while hammering inside such an area? Merry Xmas my friend, hope santa stopped bye your place tonite. Later, Ty