I Forge Iron

BBQ knife

EduBacha

Hello everyone, 
I am from Brazil and this is my first post here on I Forge Iron. 
I'm 17 and weekly I will post photos of my knives that I make in my backyard just for fun. You know that you just can't explain when steel runs into your veins. So let me put photos of one BBQ knive that I made with: 

58CRV4 steel bar
32 cm total lenght( about 12,5 inches)
20 cm blade lenght( 8inches)
3mm thick ( 0.118inches)
3,8cm width (1.5 inches)

handle made with deer horn from Argentina. 

foto2-26_zpsefaf29e8.jpg

foto1-21_zpsa0b04347.jpg

foto5-10_zps1e5348ce.jpg

It was made by forging and the finish was made with sandpapers ( 220, 360, 400, 500, 600) and scoth brite with oil. 

For the quenching I used water and oil at 40ºC ( 104ºF) And heat the steel to 760ºC ( 1400ºF) .

The finish on the handle was made with cyanoacrylate ( The main component of super glue). 

I want to talk about the grinding... It was made on just one side of the blade, you can see it here: 
foto1-21_zps6b51e294.jpg

It results in a better thin cut edge to slice the meat. 

That's all for today, I'm sorry for the bad english but with time I hope that I learn more about the language and of course about knife making. 

Thanks, 
EB. 

Hello, 
Thank you very much for commenting, I am glad to read this. 
It cuts great, I spent a lot of time grinding by hand and didn't make one edge from the blade, all the blade is the edge, just one angle from the top to bottom. That's not an invention of Brazil, japanese chef's knives are grinded like this to, that's a lot of hand work but it ends on a very sharp knife. 

Thanks again, I could see that we have a lot of masters on knife making here.
EB. 

Very nice work, I like that !

How do you use the cyanoacrylate ?

Thanks! 
You can use the super glue, it works just fine, but remember to buy the "Precision"one, because it don't become white if there is some oil on the surface of the bone, so it don't show some finger prints that can be there. The process is simple, just squeeze the superbonder and as fast as you can, spread it evenly. 

What is the wrap between the blade and the handle... leather?

Hello, that's leather. I placed the leather last year outside and let the sun, rain and dusty take care of the color. We end with a nice orange leather with some patterns on it, but you have to let it dry for ate least a month or two. 

Stellar! 

Thanks!! 

Impressive work! The effort shows in the finished knife, it is a very good looking knife.

Dave

Thank you Dave, I feel great reading this comments. Hope I can learn a lot with everyone here. 

EB.

Welcome aboard EB, glad to have you. It's really common for young men just taking up blacksmithing to  want to make blades and it's a refreshing change to see someone with the skill and attention to detail your work shows calling himself a hobbyist. A hobbyist being someone who does a thing just for fun.

A full blade single bevel does make for a carving knife that is easy to cut straight with, I frequently get to tease my wife about her . . . free style method of slicing bread, cheese. . . things. <grin>

That's a beautiful piece of work any chef would be proud to have and use.

Your English is excellent better than some of the guys who live here but what the heck, we're blacksmiths not English teachers. (Okay I'm sure there some English teachers subbed on here but. . . <grin>)

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard EB, glad to have you. It's really common for young men just taking up blacksmithing to  want to make blades and it's a refreshing change to see someone with the skill and attention to detail your work shows calling himself a hobbyist. A hobbyist being someone who does a thing just for fun.

A full blade single bevel does make for a carving knife that is easy to cut straight with, I frequently get to tease my wife about her . . . free style method of slicing bread, cheese. . . things. <grin>

That's a beautiful piece of work any chef would be proud to have and use.

Your English is excellent better than some of the guys who live here but what the heck, we're blacksmiths not English teachers. (Okay I'm sure there some English teachers subbed on here but. . . <grin>)

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh Thank you very much! 
These words means a lot to me. 
This BBQ knife is very simple by the way so it's not that difficult to get results like mine, it's basically patience. 

thanks again, 
EB. 

Oh Thank you very much! 
These words means a lot to me. 
This BBQ knife is very simple by the way so it's not that difficult to get results like mine, it's basically patience. 

thanks again, 
EB. 

It's a proper expression of higher forms of craft to do simple things with basic technique and taking the time to do it right. "It's basically patience," is as true a statement as it gets.

You're going to fit right in here.

Frosty The Lucky.