I Forge Iron

Broke my leg!

Prokopto

Hi friends, I took my post vise off its post today to pack it up to go to Tennessee to a Christian summer camp and when I did the leg fell into two pieces about 3 inches below the pivot bolt. It looked as if it were cut with a water jet. Smooth in two it was. 

This post vise is a crucial part of my forge. I figure I can weld this but if it is wrought iron does that require any special rod types or preheating?

I do not have pics but any help is appreciated,

Thanks 

Bill

we wrapped mine in wrought iron rod pounded flat and forge welded it  looks like a blacksmith repair.  (sort of like a barrel weld where we were trying to weld it to the mandrel...)

As it should be pretty much zilch carbon preheat and post heat not needed but know the slag will come out requiring more filler than you would expect if you are using O-A or arc welding (or it's variations)

Grind both edges to form a V shape.  Align the parts in the V of angle iron.  Use a MIG or Arc welder and weld as you would mild steel.  Let it cool naturally.  Should be good for a long time.  If you are concerned about a butt weld, slip a piece of black pipe onto the leg before welding, then after doing the above, slide the pipe up and weld the two ends also.

• 2 weeks later...

You can always get a tall tree stump or oak wood square , drill a hole for the existing piece of the leg, put that under the vise and remount it to the bench. That will support the weight of the vise until you can figure out if you want top forge weld or weld the leg back on.  If you can get your hands on a second post vise with a good leg, mount the broken leg one horizontally onto the bench so now you have a vise with the jaws sticking out so you can do sideways horizontal work.

Ohio Rusty ><>

The Ohio Frontier Forge