I Forge Iron

Got this today

got a friend to machine a hardy hole in a couple of chunks of steel that will eventually be made into anvils.

the blocks are 4" by 3" and the longest is over 18", the shorter is 13" plus

holes are 1" square to half the depth and then round from there on down.

will later add a pritchel and legs

post-15516-0-31819600-1402165501_thumb.j

OK a question for those here, for a striking anvil how tall would you make it?

I mainly make things for others to use rather than using them myself but im just over 5 foot 1" tall so what is best for me may be a bit short for others, I may even make it adjustable then I need the range of heights for various people using it at an event.

I would go for about 28 or 30 inches off the ground, lower than a regular anvil.  Recently took a BB class and the block striking anvils were about that height. There was one shorter person in the class and she wold pulle up a couple of railroad ties to stand on and get a really good strike just by being raised up a little bit.

The striking anvils used by Brian Brazeal are between 22''-26'' tall. The reason is because by the time you place your stock on (+2'') and your top tool (+4'') you reach a good working height (28''-32''). Striking a top tool which is 40'' high is no fun at all.