I Forge Iron

anvil at an auction

hey all

this Saturday  there is an anvil at an auction but i dont know what to think

the listing says its an Peter Wright #19 anvil but that makes no sence to me

i would like to know what you guys think it should sell for all the listing has is two pictures good anviles dont come up around here that often so. idont know

thanks eco

http://www.globalauctionguide.com/imageviewer.php?iid=14278751

http://www.globalauctionguide.com/imageviewer.php?iid=14278752

Greetings Eco,

Looks like a just fine PW..  More than likely the first 1  in  1-1-9  was defaced and by the size of the hammer I would say its a 149 pounder..  It could not of had much use the bark is still on the stump..  Go for it.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Buy it if you can.  It looks to be in nearly new condition and certainly good enough for another hundred or so years of forging on!  Nice edges, great size, no signs of welds....  definitely worth $2/lb or more.  I wouldn't feel bad about getting that anvil even if it cost me $500.  A new anvil of similar quality and size is going to be a lot more expensive than five bills.

ya i am going to go to the auction this is the first no cast iron anvil that i have seen at the auction that in not out in the sticks i can actually get there in an our not five like all of the other auctions with any good anvils in them

• 2 weeks later...

I know you can't own it all, but if you see something you really want, then apply the : 'Rule of thumb for blacksmith 'stuff' .... If someone else buys it, then you can never use it or get any enjoyment out of it if it is setting in someone elses garage ......

Just a personal observation ...........

Ohio Rusty

Purveyor and Blacksmith

The Ohio Frontier Forge