I Forge Iron

A pretty hammer

Rashelle

Here are some of the pics from a hammer I forged recently. With a striker not a power hammer. Not sure of end weight of hammer but the billet would of been about 6.44 lbs. As it is a large hammer intended for me to use when I want a striker but don't have one around I went with a round face with short radius edges and an absolutely flat face. I can literally spin it on the anvil. So it moves the metal aggressively then cleans up nice. The pictures aren't doing the purple coloring justice. It was a contest hammer and the billet was supplied. The billets were a higher carbon content then I'd normally use on a hammer so taking and tempering it to blue/purple was intentional. It's not for striking other tools only hot metal.

post-15720-0-57141300-1401590032_thumb.jpost-15720-0-17848000-1401590179_thumb.jpost-15720-0-05339900-1401590247_thumb.j

post-280-0-40068200-1401642230_thumb.jpg

Thank you Dave. I had to figure out a way to make it stand out. I had no idea what the competition would be. I've been called competitive in the past. So with that as a given I had to go with a nice flow, lots of contrast, and make it pretty.

Rashelle

Thank you Mitch, Ian, and Vaughn.

Working on the lines, I'd end up doing a little work, then taking a good look at it, and deciding what needed to be changed. When I first received the billet to be used I was like uhhoh, that's big. Then I was like will I ever use it? After that was they must have a lot of confidence of myself and Dean. (There were two of us from Fort Vancouver entering the contest and received both billets for us. Myself and a third person struck for Dean and Dean and Andrew struck for me.) (Not sure who struck for who doing which tools at this point, we will finish Andrew up a hammer in awhile too for triplets.) Then was my last reaction, Cool this is gonna be fun, lets make it a bit different from my daily use rounding hammer to give me more options. Now it's been used a bit and I love it. It won't become my regular use hammer but it will be used regularly.