I Forge Iron

Want Basic Blacksmith Course, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Montana, Idaho, or surrounds

The topic pretty much says what I am looking for:  I want a 2, 3, 4, or 5 day basic course in blacksmithing.  I have my own newly built forge, an anvil, and some hammers.  I made my first set of tongs and theyt actually turned out okay for a first real blacksmithing project?  I also realize, however, that completing one set of tongs by guess and by golly is simply an awkward start. 

So I sort of know how to mangle metal. But blacksmithing is a skilled craft, and it makes sense that I should have some instruction in the basics from somone who has a degree of mastry.

I live in Calgary, Alberta.  I can travel anywhere nearby including Alberta, British Columbia, Skaskachewan, Montana, Northeastern Washington State, Montana, Idaho...etc.  That's the general area.  Maybe I could travel even further but I would really not want to go to, say, North Carolina. 

I would love some suggestions from practitioners. 

Best,

David

Oh Frank, I would not rule out Santa Fe as a place to travel to.  Such a beautiful town but I cannot hop on a plane tonight!  LOL.  For interest sake, what are you charging for the 6 day course?  And, how many instructional hours are there in each day?

Oh Frank, I would not rule out Santa Fe as a place to travel to.  Such a beautiful town but I cannot hop on a plane tonight!  LOL.  For interest sake, what are you charging for the 6 day course?  And, how many instructional hours are there in each day?

$1200. You're on your own for R & B. Lodging guide provided. Send postal address for all particulars. 7 hour work day and sometimes we stay later if we get project involved.

Without taking anything away from the many other fine places you could go........

I'd wholeheartedly recommend Mr Turley's :)

George

Turley's brief "North Country" résumé.

2006 Artist Blacksmiths Association of North America. Frank with wife, Juanita, sang Lakota honoring song for Nahum Hersom's ABANA Award, Seattle, Washington

2005 Northwest Blacksmiths Association Conference, Turley workshop, Corvallis, Oregon

2002 Northern Rockies Blacksmiths Association, Turley workshop, Bozeman, Montana

1999 Caniron II, Canadian Blacksmiths Conference, Turley workshop, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

1994 Western Canadian Blacksmiths Guild, Olds College, Turley workshop, Olds, Alberta, Canada

Inland Washington Blacksmiths Association, Turley workshop, Kennewick, Washington

1991 Rabbit Stick Rendezvous Skills Conference, Boulder Outdoor Survival School, Turley workshop, Rexburg, Idaho

Every year Calvary hosts the worlds blacksmithing competition. Smiths from all over the world gather and practice/compete...as individuals as well as in teams. If I were a shorter commute i would be there every year..camera and note pad in hand..There is also likely a market place where you can pick uup and handle ,,maybe even buy the tools needed for smithing...I would guess there wouild be a tailgaiting section where folks sell used tools...

If I remember correctly this takes place in July.

None of what you will see or be exposed to there will equal what Frank or other schools offer. But it will beat what you are doing now and may shorten some of the learning curve a bit.

I know a couple of smiths out in the Calgary, Canmore area.  There is  probably a local Abana chapter.  Link up with them and you will likely find someone who teaches locally.  As well you will learn a lot at hammer ins, often for free or a nominal fee.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=calgary+blacksmith+course&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=hmeMU8O0D6aC8QeZ4oDoCA

Mark Pearce is a well known blacksmith who has done demos and courses all over North America.  As well I would think the Nait and Sait courses would be good as well. 

I would definitely join the WCBG as well.

Hi David,

I am a member of the Western Canadian Blacksmiths' Guild.  We have a shop west of Leduc, at the Alberta Heritage park, and give demos during their scheduled events.  We have monthly meetings there on the second Saturday of the month. New members get one day  of one on one instruction in the basics and safety.  You are probably past that stage, and could take any of the several blacksmith courses offered by the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in Edmonton.  We have a link on our website (www.albertablacksmiths.ca) that takes you to that page of the course catalog.

• 2 weeks later...

Nait in edmonton has blacksmithing courses not sure how good they are, wcbg has meetings every month also. I've never been to either, would like to though. I also found this ad on kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/calgary/learn-blacksmithing-in-a-weekend-workshop/570985078?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true. Hope this info helps.

I highly recommend doing the NAIT coarses in Edmonton. The teacher's name is Shawn Cunningham. He teaches the basic forging techniques, making and heat treating your beginner tools, pattern welding and locksmithing as well I think.

His latest coarse, he brought in David Goldberg to demonstrate Japanese blade forging.

http://www.nait.ca/course_IRON401.htm?AsOfDate=2014-08-01

• 1 year later...