I Forge Iron

Chugging burner

I just finished my first foundry.  I'm using propane and a Reid-type burner.  The only problem is that when I ignite the burner it doesn't burn smoothly.  It "chugs".  It reminds me of recordings of the old V-1 Buzz bombs of WWII.  I drilled a #57 orifice in the burner.  Should I increase it to a #60?   

I'm using the regulator from a turkey fryer so I can control the pressure, but there's no gauge, so I don't know what the pressure is.  I'm using a 12 inch long, 1/2 inch diameter black iron pipe with an inch and 1/2 to 1/2 inch reducer.   The foundry itself is a propane tank from a grill.  

The burner chugs at all pressure settings.   I'll check the alignment tonight.   Thanks.

The fryer regulator I got off a turkey fryer and used for my forge went to 20psi and has worked for over 10 years so far...can't say about more recent ones---got it cheap at a fleamarket where the dealer hadn't noticed it was dangling off the back of the trailer and had worn off the brass propane fitting end...scrounged another one of those from a junked gas grill that had a large bore fitting too and was in business for US$3 total 

There's your problem, you didn't follow Ron's directions at all. when you say a "Reid" burner I assume you mean a "Reil" burner. If you do indeed mean Reid, trash those design plans there are so many mistakes in your description it's a wonder you can even get it to chug. If you are using Ron Reil's plans do it again, you have it really wrong. Too wrong for me to try to correct.

I'm not trying to be hard on you but you don't sound like you understood even the basics. For instance, you can NOT drill a #57 hole out to #60. 57 ga is LARGER than 60 ga. you can't drill a hole smaller. Your best bet is to go to Ron's site and follow the directions as close to EXACTLY as you can. Ron isn't going to answer questions about build problems either, the directions are clear enough that if you don't understand the directions you aren't going to understand anything he tells you.

A couple basics though. That regulator will NOT work, buy a 0-30 propane regulator. Your burner tube is more than 2x too long for the dia.

Frosty The Lucky.

OK.  Thanks for all the information.  Yes, I meant a "Reil" burner, and I realized I got the numbers backwards when I checked it this evening.  I did drill it out to a #57 this evening and after I adjusted it to be better centered in the pipe it quit chugging.