I Forge Iron

How do You Recognize Outstanding Customer Service?

Good Morning

I think that in general we don't recognize good customer service enough and we take it for granted. 

A few short weeks ago I purchased a Striker stc 88 power hammer, I knew close to nothing about this machine so I started calling around to people that dealt with similar machines, Mr. Johnson with Anyang USA was one of this calls.

Mind you that he knows that I’ve already purchased a competitor’s product and instead of dismissing me, which I would find acceptable, he went to the trouble of providing me with pictures of bases and specs of alterations that he does to his products, with no gain or profit in mind.

How do you recognize this kind of generosity?

Please share any and all instances of great customer service that you have received; I hope that my experience has some parallels.

And a huge "thank you" to James Johnson for his time and patience.

Sergio

Black Mutt Forge

Altamonte Springs, Florida

Well, if its a lower down functionary of the company, I'll make every effort to let the head of the company know exactly what a fine employee they have. Something in writing usually makes it way to a personnel file.

I had the same experience with Roger Fowlers sales and service in Suffolk VA. I hadn't bought anything from them but needed some advice on not doing myself in on an old tractor I got with a piece of property I bought. The owners son, Todd, was an outstanding source of information and help when I needed it.

I recognized their support when it came time to upgrade the tractor, I bought a new tractor and all the implements I needed from them, bought a truck from the father's used car lot.

I moved out of Suffolk 2 years ago and brought the tractor with me, it is a Farmtrac which isn't known around here, so when I have a question about how to fix something or need advice on maintenance, I call them and get the question answered.

I believe the best recognition you can give a company is give them your business, loyalty, and tell others about your positive experience.  A few kind words to the bosses about an outstanding employee doesn't hurt either.

Mark

Sergio: I think James posts here now and then, usually answering power hammer questions. He's good people no doubt. There seem to be quite a few in the blacksmith community.

There are some numbers but all I recall are the rule of thumb numbers. Rule one being the best advertising/marketing is word of mouth. One customer who is happy with service or product will tell on average three (3) other people. One person who does NOT like the product or service will tell nine (9) others. A good businessman knows and lives by the word of mouth rule.

In the age of the internet this has changed a bit, for instance Sergio. Telling folk on IFI how much you appreciate James's good service is telling something like 8,500-9,000 people. Today the old rue of thumb is magnified by an order of magnitude at least.

Giving good or excellent service is hardly without the thought of profit today, all a business would need is half a percent return on word of mouth to become a millionaire. Think about it, if 1/2% decided to buy a Striker because of your good review that would mean around 425 hammers ordered. THAT my friend is incentive!

Frosty The Lucky

I believe the best recognition you can give a company is give them your business, loyalty, and tell others about your positive experience.  A few kind words to the bosses about an outstanding employee doesn't hurt either.

I agree. I also like to remember the sales staff that is helpful when it comes time for say Christmas. Every year I take $20 and give it to my mechanic to buy lunch for the shop guys who work on my truck for example to say "thanks' Sames goes with the counter guy at my local welding supply, my paint guy and the warehouse staff at the local lumber yard ( small traditional mom and pop yard not a home center) who take care of me and help me load up all the time. A card and a few gift cards or some cash to say thanks for everything they do to help me out thru the year.

Aw, don't worry about being annoying Sergio, we all have those days.

I run across all levels of service everywhere I go, most of it pretty darned good. Once in a while you run into exemplary service but good is the majority of my experiences. Of course seeing as how most service is good to great, the times we run across bad service we tell everyone. That could be why most folk, up here anyway, provide pretty good service.

Then again I'm a pretty likable talky kind of guy and folk tend to do nice by me. Maybe they just want me to shut up so they can go back to work but who's complaining? <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.