I Forge Iron

Show me your forge (gasser)

Glenn

Is that a race car engine or a forge?

Brian,
I am a muscle car era kid and yes the forge was built to give the impression of a "race car engine". With its flame paint job and shiny tubing induction system I can reminisce about my hot rod days while forging a billet.:D
It also sounds hot, when it's running in the 2300fh temperature range.
The blower is mounted under the table, below the 3 inch stainless tower. The manifold with the tubes attached is 6" stainless.
The last picture shows the wiring "nightmare" hidden under the table.

Hope you like the effect, Fred

6058.attach

6059.attach

6060.attach

here's a couple pictures of my little gas forge. I love the idle circuit.....when the ball valve is closed I have it tuned to idle on aprox 1/2lb pressure....open the valve and its an inferno. I've run it at up to 15lbs (yellow heat, I havent tried a forge weld with it yet) but mainly run it at about 5-7lbs of pressure.

6056.attach

6057.attach

Mine is based on a 7 gallon Walmart air tank. Lined it with 2" of inswool, two thick coats of satanite, and then a coat or two of ITC-100. The forced air burner is a Darren Ellis design. And yes, the blower is attached with duct tape since I have to be true to my humble roots. I was going to come up with a fancier arrangement but the duct tape worked so well I just left it alone. The forge will quite easily reach welding temps on 2 psi. I'm experimenting with smaller venturi burners to see if I can't get it to reliably run at 1500 degrees for heat treating 1084. Latest try was around 1600 so I need to go smaller than the 3/4" sidearm from the last experiment. I also built a small horizontal forge from an old freon bottle that works great for general heating chores. That one has a sidearm burner.
DSCF0006.JPG

here's a couple pictures of my little gas forge. I love the idle circuit.....when the ball valve is closed I have it tuned to idle on aprox 1/2lb pressure....open the valve and its an inferno. I've run it at up to 15lbs (yellow heat, I havent tried a forge weld with it yet) but mainly run it at about 5-7lbs of pressure.

Excellent idea using the idle circuit. Simple and effective.

Fred