I Forge Iron

Searching Central Alabama

It depends on how much you want to spend. I just looked at Criagslist for Mobile and there are a number of decent anvils around Alabama for $500. If you want to go cheaper and  want to see if your son will continue his interest, I'd suggest getting a fair sized piece of railroad track and research this website for ways to use rail for an anvil. I started with a big piece of rail and it worked well for many years.

Welcome aboard good Dad, glad to have you! If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised at how many IFI folk live within visiting distance.

12 is a great age and giving him a chance to explore blacksmithing is terrific. There are no such things as "perfect" tools, it isn't the tool that does the work, it's the human, the big brain and thumbs that does it all. If you give him the idea he can blacksmith with whatever is handy, he'll be more confident. Confidence comes from being able to deal with life, having someone buy the "perfect" tool tends to teach them they have to have the perfect tool to do a thing.

How's this for a plan. find something heavy and steel to use for an anvil RR rail, old semi axle, train coupler, chunk of shaft, whatever. Help him build a forge, be it a hole in the ground, an old BBQ, a wheel barrow, wash tub, anything that'll hold enough fire and something that'll deliver air will work. Old ball pein hammers make excellent smithing hammers. An expedient equipped shop is a fine way to start. you'll be amazed at what he'll be doing in no time and soon enough he'll be selling key rings, garden ornaments and tools, bottle openers, coat hooks, etc. etc. and ready to buy what HE thinks he needs.

We'll be here to back you up with whatever help we can, heck have him join and start reading. There's enough reading material here to fill a few 40 hour weeks, literally thousands of man years of experience laid out in plain text by subject.

Frosty The Lucky.

It might also be worth mentioning that if you do want to buy a second hand "real" anvil, they hold their value. Providing it's not abused, if your son looses interest you'll be able to sell it for what you paid for it, even for a profit if you got a good deal.

If you're willing to drive north a bit, I found a guy in Columbia, TN who has several for sale, including a little Vulcan for $100.  Private message me if you want me to try to hook you up with him.   Columbia is on the way to Nashville, not too far over the Alabama/Tennessee line.