I Forge Iron

Question about making drill bit/auger per person request

First, hello my name is Jeff read the post often first time posting. I do a little bladesmithing/bladesmithing mostly odd one off machine parts for work and knives for friends. Today a gentleman came into work(my day job) looking for a drill bit . basically a .250 dia. 18" long Rod with a diamond shaped bit at the end. Has anyone ever made anything similar. If so what stock did you use plain carbon,tool steel e.g. and how did work out.

I've made long spade drills from drill rod and TIG welded twist drills onto mild steel shafts for special jobs - but what you are describing should be readily available from MSC or McMaster-Carr. If you must do it, simply purchase some drill rod in the right size and grind to shape.

Welcome aboard Jeff, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Did you do a basic search for what you're looking for? Did you ask the customer even the most basic question, what does he want to drill through?

Forgive me, I'm a little stumped here, you MAKE machine tools and you have to ask something this Jr. high school shop class basic?

There are so many flaws to the thing it's pretty much not a question we can answer, especially not as asked.

I don't want to be rude but if you won't do even the most basic research why do you think we're going to do it for you?

Frosty The Lucky.

Ahh the old pre twist drill bits which lasted quite late as a variation are still sold as masonry bits, though with carbide inserts.

Practical Blacksmithing, Richardson, book 2 around the mid 120's has quite a bit on such drills and drillbits; I commend it to your attention!

Also: Making milling cutters, Augers and Drills in "The Complete Modern Blacksmith"; Weygers

In my experience with such drillbits high pressure and slow speed are needed and NOT modern electrified drillpresses as you are more scraping a hole rather than cutting one.

Drill rod is almost like they intended it for this purpose!  forge the end down, leave fat and file to final shape.  Heat treat and do a differential temper on it to the edge is the hardest part.

Thanks for the responses to the post. I know I did not give much info. The guy works for an alarm installation company. The bits they use were being made by a former alarm installation tech. Via drop forging. The tech retired and was supposed to sell the dies and drop press to the company but that fell through. They're not standard spade bits think solid steel acute broadhead arrows 18",24",36" length s. I checked various industrial supply house catalogs msc, grainger so on. Nothing quite it.i Have suitable stock in o1 and w1 drill rod as well as 5160. I was just wondering if anyone had made something similar and would share their experience.

Thanks Thomas I have The Complete Modern Blacksmith. I will check out Practical Blacksmithing, book 2.

well, he still hasn't given us what the material to be drilled through is, which makes a big difference.  bits for chewing through a row of framing studs will differ from those going through metal, from those like the star dril Mitch posted, to those for masonry.

what it sounds like he is describing is the wood drill bits described and diagrammed by weygers on page 159 (chapter 18 of TMB) which are made from low carbon/mild steel nails.