I Forge Iron

Is it worth making punches/drifts from A36 round stock?

Probably a stupid question but, I have several bars of 3/4" A36 lying around and have been searching to see if it would make workable, even temporarly, drifts but I havent really found a diffinative answer so I thought I would just ask.

I know tool steel is preferred but I dont have any right now and as a newb I wonder if I could practice on the A36 and make something usable enough to maybe drift or slitting chisel for a rail road spike tomahawk that I want to try?

I got this from a steel fabaricator but I was wondering if A36 is the same stuff they sell at the big box hardware stores for "weldable steel" or is it better?

thanks

A36 can be a somewhat mystery steel, it's made to meet strength specs and not a specific analysis. That said it will make temporary punches and drifts, short lived but will do for a while. I don't know about making a slitter though, they get HOT in use I don't think A36 or mild will hold up.

If you have a bargain tool store or hit garage/yard sales you can find chisels and or large allen wrenches, either will make a decent slitting chisel. Sure they aren't going to hold up long in use but they will hold up long enough. If that is IF you don't dally and you keep them quenched.

Can't you find old coil springs? Those make decent punches, slitters, chisels, drifts, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Can't you find old coil springs? Those make decent punches, slitters, chisels, drifts, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I just got a source for some coil springs and leaf springs today, not sure when I can get there though. But I was just curious about this stuff I have laying around.  Kinda getting anxious to forge something ya know. ;) I think I can get a cheap set of pry bars to use as for a slitter pretty quickly from a place like you mentioned.

Thanks again

Not premium material, but tire tools are a little better than A36. I aquired 10 recently : ) .  I have found A36 to be OK as a drift, but as Frosty mentioned its a bit lacking as a slitter, punch possibly with the right geomtry. Expect to dress often. I have found it to be decent for practice on though before using more $ materials to make punches ,etc.