I Forge Iron

looking for info on this strange vice

dontpaymenomind

Interesting vice, haven't seen one quite like that, it appears, the scissors hinge is made so that the jaws move parralell instead of simply hinging and having the front jaw angle in relation to the back jaw when opened very wide.  The other very short vices Ive seen were made to mount on the wagon or cart of a portable forge rig, not sure but it could have been made for that.

Woodsmith

I'll try to get better pictures later today. I'm not a very mechanical person so describing it will be rough but here's an attempt.

The vise screw is actually the end of that bar that slides out(but not right now) to open the jaws and the handle is internally threaded. This is opposite of the post vises I've seen. The externally threaded rod also has a latch and notches to I guess open the jaws to different lengths and keep it there.

I can't getit to open more than an an inch or so right now.

Thanks

post-51616-0-27556000-1396043725_thumb.jpost-51616-0-42069000-1396046021_thumb.jpost-51616-0-23050200-1396046062_thumb.jpost-51616-0-86834400-1396046106_thumb.jpost-51616-0-40588300-1396046194_thumb.jpost-51616-0-99199400-1396046260_thumb.j

The handle looks like it has some threads broken off and that ring kinda acts as a spring/keeps it for on falling off after I get it open about an inch. Seems like a fix for the broken handle threads. It won't pull the jaws open unless its connected.

I can't pull it open any further either but it may just be the rust. Or I'm just not understanding the vise

OK, here is my thoughts. The ratchet nothches are for rapid action, then the screw would do the final squeezing. It looks like there is a spring in the back that when pushed down would allow the screw assembly to slide open without turning the handle. When an item is placed in the jaws one could just simply push the outer jaw closed against the item, then use the handle to do the final tightening. Interesting design.

When you say a spring in the back are you talking about the peice on the opposite side to the mounting tab in the middle? That seems to do what you are describing. Lifting it up pulls the metal piece out from the ratchet notches. Can't get the sucker to move though. Not even a millimeter. Where the notched side of the bar enters the jaws its a pretty tight fit. Might try an electrolysis bath

Can you post a picture from the other side? 

As stated above douse it well and often with penetrating oil and keep whacking the stuck joints with a bronze hammer (or brass or copper or lightly with a steel hammer). 

Take your time, that is a real treasure, possibly unique. I would try to find a good retired machinist in your town to help you figure out the repair before trying anything. 

You are right about some of the screw broken out.

that is one of the problems with this design, if the thread is fully wound out and then the vice is pushed closed so the spring is fully compressed it comes up tight in only half a turn. That's just not enough to handle the pressure.

the shaft will need to be shined up with emery cloth and any high spots removed with a file. rusted shafts have a habit of starting to move then they grab and come up tight on all the crud.

the ideal way to move the shaft is to wire the ratchet dog open and jig the vice up square and solid in a hydraulic press, get some pressure on the shaft then use an oxy torch to warm and thermally expand the hole (while watching the pressure gauge).

the shaft could come out from the front or the back depending on how it is made. If there is a removable pin or circlip through the shaft down in the hole that the handle boss came out of then the shaft can be pushed out the back. Unfortunately the vice is closed so the shaft needs to be moved a few inches forward to get at the pin (if there is one in there)

if it is a solid one piece unit then the shaft has to come right out the front, if the back end of the shaft has ever been smacked hard with a hammer and damaged that is going to make things difficult (more file-ing).

• 8 years later...

Well 6 years later finally got around to getting it moving today. Maybe somebody knows more about this kind of vice?  

I think the bracket on the handle may be an addition to help pull the vice open but maybe I'm wrong ..I haven't messed with that set screw yet. 

Any suggestions for repair welcomed, thanks 

(1).jpeg

(2).jpeg

(3).jpeg

(4).jpeg

(5).jpeg

(6).jpeg

(7).jpeg

(8).jpeg

(9).jpeg

(10).jpeg