I Forge Iron

Soaking Charcoal in water?

Gromgor

So a guy I was talking to said something about using charcoal soaked in water to make his fuel last longer. I'd never heard of this, and I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned on these forums. Has anyone ever heard of this? 

Soaking has always increased the sparking in my forge as the steam blows out bits.  To save on charcoal I build the firepot to hold the needed charcoal---a deeper fire without being wider than necessary so only charcoal contributing to heating the metal is in use.  Sounds to me like someone was trying to use coal forge techniques on charcoal rather than using charcoal forge techniques on charcoal.

It really depends on how much water and how long it's soaked. Personally I just leave it dry, if anything is see the steam splitting the charcoal, increasing the surface area to burn, which would increase heat BUT greatly shorten fuel life.

I have a very small (10" pipe) portable demo forge that I use charcoal in. Once the whole thing gets hot, it is helpful to wet the outer ring of charcoal to keep it from burning up before it gets pushed into the center.

Coal, being denser, does not tend to catch fire by contact as easily as charcoal does.