I Forge Iron

First day back in the Shop

I felt good today so decide to work in the shop after my surgery and kidney failure. Didn't get much done every thing had to be annealed, so its sitting in a bucket of ash until tomorrow. In case any one is interest in what I'm making, I making a spring for my nephews post vise...and of course I don't have the right size of tongs for the job so got to make them first.

Also making some more dies for the gulliotine tool and then I have a order for 40 drawer pulls, 15 center pieces for a wedding and a swag for this arch tile work.....then I have to fit in all the stuff I make for the fair. Keep the fires burning. Paul

You can make a perfectly good spring out of mild steel for that.  Less time no annealing or any of the other heat treatment steps and you can adjust it cold to the vice.  

http://ipneto.deviantart.com/art/Vice-spring-for-knife-guy-323146214

http://ipneto.deviantart.com/art/vice-spring-277231859

Sounds like you've got a lot of fun time playing with fire ahead of you.  Wish I had as much.   Work is just getting in the way for me.  Glad your feeling better after the surgery.  What kind of dies for the guillotine tool?  Looking forward to pictures of all the fun stuff. 

Great that you got to *accomplish* *something*!  Even better that you weren't able to over do it.

I've been sick for over a week and finally was feeling enough better on Saturday that I tore down and cleaned up an old postvise---wire brushing rust out of the joints and crud out of the screw and solvent in the screwbox. Filed the sharp area where the handle was upsetting the rim of it's hole. 

Sunday at my real shop I adjusted the pivot area with my large screw press so now it aligns within a 1/16" or so and then greased the pivot cheeks and screw/screwbox and the bearing point for the spring.  I also found another sq headed bolt the right size for the pivot and installed it.  Looks like it's ready to go!

The screwbox has a small hole in the end and I'm thinking of putting a zerk in it so I can grease it from the back forward pushing crud out of the screw/screwbox.  Saw that mod on someone elses vise and thought it made a lot of sense...unfortunately most of my vises are Columbians with large open ended screwboxes.  This one is going on loan for the smithy we are building at church and so being extra protected is a *good* *thing*...

Good to see you posting again Paul. Don't be scaring the crap out of us like that again! Ya hear? It's good you're getting out in the shop again, a little work is good for what ails ya, not over doing it is important so take those breaks.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks every one, I don't have any chose to pace myself I know when I've had enough. The vise is done now my my nephew can return mine and get his, he only has a 2 1/2 hour drive easier on him then me. I can't take pics because some one stole my camera going to get an other one hopefully soon.

Next project is making a coat rack out of a pitch fork that was posted on iforge, thought it was neat and now I'm finally getting to it. then its those cabinet pulls thats money, all the other stuff is warm up. Working half days or less is all I can do but its better than nothing at all. Still have one surgery to go just don't know when. Thank you all again for the thoughts and prays they do mean a lot. Keep the fires burning.