I Forge Iron

Twisted table legs update

SoCal Dave

I finally got around to putting the twisted table legs together. It is far from finished, but I thought it is starting to look like a table.  The design is what the person who commissioned it wanted.  Things I learned:  "Let is soak".  When twisting the 3/4" bars, I found that after it reached what looked like an even heat for the area we wanted to twist, I let it soak another 5 to 10 min.  It made it easier to twist and gave us more time to twist for final adjustments.  It seems like a simple lesson, but my excitement to twist the first leg overcame my understanding of letting it soak through really well.  The hardest part for me was trying to get the legs straight enough.  They are far from perfect.  I used my O/A torch and my tree stump with a tree branch as a hammer to straighten them.  The pictures are a little distorted and they look more in-line in person.   I'm going to use a glass table top to finish it off.  The table will hold an African dear skull that has large twisted horns. This is for a friend, and he has since gotten married, so now it will be a wedding present.  So much for money.   

post-7487-0-61176900-1395528341_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-41793900-1395528311_thumb.jp

A new tool for every project.  I wish.  But, I did purchase a three burner mankel forge for this project. I got a great deal on Craig's list.  I had only a one burner NC forge which didn't work well, and heating that large a section with a O/A torch didn't work either.  

Looks good Greg, I like incised twists. It's hard getting them even, letting it soak is a real help, you can even twist a bar apart if the center isn't hot enough.

That will make a fine wedding gift. Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

I tig welded the underside of the bars on the top.  I'm adding another layer on top and I'm thinking of wrapping the top bars in a copper sheet material and then wrapping flat copper wire around the corners.  I'm not absolutely sure of the copper usage, but I thought it would give it another texture.