I Forge Iron

Twisted pipehawk

I just finished this one this morning i'm not sure of the alloys in the head it's a bar i have had for a while and was not marked the bowl is from a round twist damascus bar of 1095/15N20, the haft is lilac with walnut stain. Mouthpiece and plug are antler.
O.a.l. is 17" from tip to tip. The head is 5 3/8" with a 1 3/4" edge. Thanks for looking!
Bob

3559.attach

3560.attach

3561.attach

3562.attach

Robert,

That is most impressive. It truly defies description... 18th century with a post-modern vibe.

Anyhow, that is some fine work.

BTW, I'm fix 'in to start my first pipe hawk. I can see now that I'll be consulting with you (if that's ok).

Did you turn the bowl on a lathe, or on the drill press?

Don

Thanks for the comments folks! Don or anyone else feel free to contact me whenever you want i will try to help in any way that i can. Don the bowl was filed to shape while still on the round bar then i cut it off and drilled and tapped it. Threaded it on a bolt then chucked it in the drill press and smoothed and sanded it. The haft was all done by hand as well.

Bob

There is no such thing as a silly question it is the only way to learn, ask lot and read lots and of coarse trial and error! Now to answer your question i drill my hafts by eye with a 16" 3/8" bit or an 18" 1/4" bit and a variable speed 1/2" hand drill. i have a drill press but it is only 14". It takes lots of practice and i still ruin 1 in 5 but i like making my own you can buy pipehawk hafts as well.
Thanks for lookin!
Bob

Hawkins Knife Making Supplies : KNIFE MAKING STEEL

3563.attach

Dodge this piece was dead on the lilac bush when i cut it. I done all the carving and filework for another hawk but it was a little small so i saved it and drilled it out for this one.
It is not stabilized just dead dry. I have heard that the root burl from lilac is fantastic.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hm... i don't think i understand the qualifications of a pipe hawk. i've seen one before, with the same tube thing coming out of the back of the head.. i guess i'm curious as to its purpose or what seperates it if anyone doesn't mind divulging..

Evan,

That tube is a pipe bowl.

It was actually used for smoking tobacco on the originals.

The handle is hollow and you'll see a mouth-piece on the end.

They were often cerimonial, but have been documented as fighters as well.

Don