I Forge Iron

The Cost of a free anvil

So I was given an anvil……. I was told it was “a hunnert ponds”. Turns out it was 47 lbs, I have no idea how many "ponds" that is. The deal was if I built the fellow a knife I could have the anvil. As stated in a previous post it would be best to call it an Anvil Shaped Object. I think it was used in Warner Brothers cartoons. It is soft, the hardy hole is not square, and it’s not square with the anvil. About it’s only redeeming feature is that is heavier than my hammers. My question is there any way to improve one of these old ASO’s or are they best put out in the yard for birds to perch on?

use it as one of many bench anvils.  They are handy and I use mine all the time.  A quick blacksmith knife would be what I would offer for it.  Its a trade. its a good trade if both partys are happy.  knives can be very simple or very complex.  I have often heard those same statements from people who have no idea about any of the stuff that we do.  Thats why it is always important to ask a lot of questions.  

Use that anvil until you get one you like better. When you get the new one you can still use the little guy for forging and striking and upsetting stock. There are lots of things I won't do on my 'good' anvil. Lots of busted anvils around and I don't want to do anything to my good one. Striking anvils are always useful.

Dave