I Forge Iron

Columbian D44- unable to tighten vise body to base.

Walnut Square Iron

I have a Columbian D44 that was my grandfathers.  I have used it for several years now but I am noticing that I can't lock the base like I used to.   

post-38281-0-34748400-1394321222_thumb.j

In this picture, the bolt is unable to spin at this part of the channel, so tightening it is not a problem.

post-38281-0-51312600-1394321273_thumb.j

Further along, the bolt spins.   

post-38281-0-32910400-1394321316_thumb.j

At the other end of the channel, it spins freely.

post-38281-0-25220600-1394321353_thumb.j

View of the bolt.  I am wondering if this is the original or was it replaced at some point?  It would seem that the bolt should have a smaller square under the head to fit nicely in the channel.  The corners of the bolt have very little wear to them, otherwise I would just replace it.

post-38281-0-63893000-1394321500_thumb.j

I was wondering if the underside of the bolt head had some sort of knurl or groves to help it catch better to prevent spinning.  Maybe I have a washer missing?

This one has me stumped.  I appreciate any help.

That bolt never had a square shoulder below the head.  If it did, you'd see remnants of it instead of threads going all the way down.  Between a bit of wear on the corners of the head, and a bit of wear on the wall of the vise, I can see how tolerances got off enough for spin to occur. 

Glad you go it fixed.  That's an idea I probably wouldn't have though of (I never do the easy way the first time or ten!)