I Forge Iron

Anvil Yes or No?

That is about $3 a pound, a bit steep in my view for that anvil. Too many people with anvils see what they are going for on Ebay and expect the same price for ones that are not the same quality.

An anvil is only worth what you are willing to pay for it. For me that value has been around $1 a pound, and I have 6 anvils that were all in that range. For others $3 a pound would be considered a bargain price. For a general shop anvil I would suggest 125# - 175# range.

Do not discount using a big piece of scrap as an anvil just because it doesn't look like an "anvil".

Whoever owns that anvil knows what they've got.  They are more than likely smiths of some kind or they wouldn't have used the correct terminology and give all those great shots that show exactly what a smith would want to see. 

Is it a good price?  Yes.  In my estimation, you're getting a great tool that will last you for the rest of your life.  It won't need belts or hoses ever.  Won't need to be lubed every 5000 miles.  And in five years you can resell it for as much as you've put into it.  Can't say that about any other tools you have!

The weight is great for a beginner, especially if you might be moving in a year or two.  If you tie it solidly to the earth, it will perform just as well as an anvil twice as heavy does on a flimsy stand.

It all depends on where you are located. I haven't seen many anvils become available in SLC and its really up to you. It seems like $3/lb is a little high for a smallish anvil but then again it isn't that much either. I think it is somewhat light weight because in a year or so you'll want something bigger, but you can always sell it too. I admit I paid way more than I should have for my first anvil but in NM they don't grow on trees like they do in Ohio or Pennsylvania. I'm not sorry I paid that because I had used a piece of rail for so long I just could progress. I still have that first anvil and I still use it. Hey If you need it and have the money go for it and don't look back.

If you buy the anvil for $300 today and sell it for $200 next year (which is well within the realm of possibility), then the net cost for the anvil was only $100.  That's a fair price no matter how you cut it. 

If you don't have the full purchase price and are wondering how far you might reasonably be able to talk him down.... wait for the next anvil.  The seller knows what he has and knows the value of a good quality anvil.  $3/lb is not unreasonable when you consider that a new anvil would cost almost double that.  We get entirely too caught up in this "find the greatest for the cheapest" stuff.

Smaller anvils usually command a higher price than larger anvils because more people want them.  They are great for yard decorations, traveling to demos, hobbyists that are moving a lot, etc.  It's not unusual for a smaller anvil to be more expensive than a behemoth.

What you need to do first is to determine what you want to make as a smith, that will determine what size anvil you will want to get. Secondly, you need to determine how much you can comfortably to spend for said anvil. Is this a hobby that you want to stick with, future business, or just a passing fancy? If money is tight, don't go dropping $240 on an anvil just to have a London pattern when $40-$60 at a scrap yard will buy you a big honking chunk of steel that will work fine as an anvil.

Not trying to discourage you, just passing along some advice from my experiences. Since I moved to "anvil poor" S.NV in 2005 I have seen quite a few anvils for sale, and bought 3 of them (50#, 125#, 170#) along with a truck load of forges,tongs,vises,and small tools at great prices.

Study up on anvils, so when you see a good deal on a good brand in good shape you will will know not to hesitate to buy it.

What part of Utah are you in? I live in Nevada, but I am werkin in LaVerkin UT. Matter of fact I scored a nice blower, and some tools near work for a friend. The stuff is out there, just start looking, and asking around.

What you need to do first is to determine what you want to make as a smith, that will determine what size anvil you will want to get. .

I agree with most of what BGD is saying but I don't think you should be limiting your theoretical anvil's size.... Within reason. If you find a huge 5cwt anvil for $200 you should buy it. But beyond that I wouldn't be limiting my search to a certain size bracket based on what I may or may not want to make - price and ease of collection would be my main factors.

I can assure you that in 5 years you will be making many different things compared to when you started out. Don't feel you should pass up a decent 80lb or 250lb anvil because the size isn't right...

Having said that you guys across the pond do seem to love your 150lb'ers. And rightly so, they are a good all round weight and should cope with a good majority of work.

I learned on a 13kg anvil, and that served me perfectly well for a good year before I found something bigger. ;)

All the best
Andy

What I was going for was if someone is just doing jewelry, or very light work a small anvil will do fine. On the other hand if he wants to work on 1" stock most of the time a bigger anvil is in order.

My anvils run from 50#-306#

Would I pass up any anvil that was in my price range? Nope.