I Forge Iron

Vikings TV show

HWooldridge

My new favorite TV show is "Vikings" on the History Channel (my mother's family hails from Denmark so figured there might be some connection).

Not sure if anyone else here watches it but the producers are aiming for realism in all of their set design and have quite a few shots of blacksmiths working on various items.  One shot clearly showed a square anvil so at least they didn't put any London patterns in the background.  Of course, there are lots of axes, swords and shields everywhere.  Someone with better eyes can probably pick out a lot more details.

At any rate, it's a fun way to spend an hour if you have the time to spare.

I watched season 1 but haven't been keeping track of season 2. The smithing caught my eye but I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a lot more. <sigh>

I'm not a vikingOphile so I'm not up on hardware, weapons, etc. Still it looks pretty good as far as authenticity goes. Of course that's just me, YMMV.

Oh yeah, I agree, it's a good hour's watching.

Frosty The Lucky.

In the Latest episode the blacksmiths were preparing for a raid.  Doing the usual as you would expect from TV,  hitting a sword like object while cold then dunking it in water for dramatic effect.     *Sigh*.      Awesome show though, so I just close my eyes during any smithing.