I Forge Iron

For us that neither need nor afford a belt grinder

Tran

This is no more than a 1735 +- RPM motor with a machined attachmentadapter  that will allow a chuck to be installed.

A 1735 +- RPM motor more friendly speed than a 3600 RPM motor, at least for me.

post-7305-0-18552500-1393763220_thumb.jp

with a buffer wheel attached

post-7305-0-87492800-1393763259_thumb.jp

These are a few grinder, buffer and shaping wheels

post-7305-0-42352400-1393763294_thumb.jp

The gold wheel is diamond coated, it will sharpen tungsten carbide drill bits. It will also cut and shape stone and bone.

(typo corrected a drill is the machine)

post-7305-0-63141900-1393763312_thumb.jp

post-7305-0-18552500-1393763220_thumb.jp

post-7305-0-87492800-1393763259_thumb.jp

post-7305-0-42352400-1393763294_thumb.jp

post-7305-0-63141900-1393763312_thumb.jp

Don't like the look of that setup Tran..

That's a recipe for a fall where you'll possibly do real harm to yourself. Have a study of grinders or polishers that are set up correctly and note the difference between those designs and yours.

I hope you don't think I'm preaching fella, just concerned for your safety, please don't learn the hard way.  

Ok, I concede it is not a good idea as is, so don’t do it.

Highsider - I don't think think you or anyone else are preaching. If anyone does however, creates any thing even similar to this either put safety guards on it or don’t use it as shown.

There was another thread where a guy has the rotation direction backwards.  In operation it will throw sparks into the operators face if he ever attempted to use a contact wheel.    Many have the start of good ideas, that do not work so good in the real world for many reasons.   Never give up trying,  Just adapt and issue version 2.0 :) unless you like it that way, move on to version 3.0 until you find "the magic", and that way a good idea becomes a great product..

Posted · Hidden by Steve Sells, March 6, 2014 - dangerous advise
Hidden by Steve Sells, March 6, 2014 - dangerous advise

Great setup, just protect yourself. There is no need for your internal organs to get scrambled around after a little stumble.

• 3 weeks later...

Factory made machines come equipped with them to save you from yourself. Don't take them off.

No, actually they don't in many cases.........The image shown is exactly how Grizzly ships it.

These are among the most dangerous tools in in my shop and they get my full attention and respect when I use them. All the guards in the world can't make up an operator who doesn't know what the heck he's doing and I don't mean you Tran.

post-15096-0-75656700-1395590024_thumb.j

OK, I was imprecise. In a home workshop, working alone, you can do as you please, no fire extinguishers, no guards, no safety glasses, whatever. And assume all of the mantle of risk, liability, responsibility, etc. Just realize that your homeowners insurance may not cover you.

If you have employees, or are open to the public, now Health & Safety rules from every level of government kick in. I have a Clontz grinder that I can not take to my day job for this very reason. And buddy, you got government you don't know you have. Ignorance may be bliss, but it does not stand up in court as a defense.

Many tool manufacturers have OSHA approved available belt and blade guards as accessories or retrofits for their offerings. Or you can make your own. I would not recommend running a old mechanical power hammer without a cage over the springs.