I Forge Iron

Champion 400 blower disassembly

JME1149

I have a Champion 400 blower that is in need of an overhaul and I need a little advice on part of the tear down.

I've got everything disassembled except for the bronze worm gear. I can't seem to figure out exactly how it comes out of the housing. I've removed the square head screw holding the gear to the shaft, but my problem is that I can't see how to pull the shaft. It looks like there are two plugs on either side of the housing (under the bearing caps) that may come out with a spanner wrench of some sort (threaded in?), or maybe I need to jack one side out using the tapped holes.

For anyone who is familiar with this blower, do you have any advice on how to get the shaft out of the housing? I would rather go into this knowing how it is put together so I don't do any damage. (Sorry, no pictures available, it was too late when I finished stripping the thing down.)

John

Excellent! Thanks for the quick response. I thought they were threaded in, but couldn't see any threads. Took me a moment to understand what you meant by the machine screws / dowel rod, but I got it now.

The only other thing that challenged me with the disassembly was removing the top cover of the housing. That flat head screw from the inside is ingenious as a sliding latch (visible in your photo #2 above).

Now to finish cleaning it up and decide on a color.

Well, thanks to SR's guidance, and some strategically placed heat, I managed to get the caps off only to reveal a pair of bronze flanged bushings holding the shaft in. I'm starting to think that that shaft might not have to come out for my overhaul.

And yes, purple does sound nice, maybe with orange fan blades. I'll post a few pics after I get it finished.

There isn't any parts to replace once you pull out that short stub shaft on the bronze gear.........

Adjusting it is the ony thing you may have to do.

I hade to gut two of them due to broken parts. That is why I have the pictures. There isn't any need to R&R that shaft if you don't have to. The other shafts have them balls. Replace the balls and polish the races. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's taken a little longer than I expected to get her back together, but here it is. I still need to tweak the bearing adjustments to make it run a little smoother/easier, but we're ready to move some air.

post-45401-0-75004800-1395005901_thumb.jpost-45401-0-36886300-1395005928_thumb.j

One of my setbacks was in the tapered cone nuts. I found a couple had some pretty severe wear and had to buy a tap to have a new one made.

Whoever heard of an 11/16-24 thread? Must have been a common size a hundred years ago.

post-45401-0-00246000-1395005986_thumb.j

• 6 months later...

I have reached a similar stage in the disassembly of my Champion 400 and have unscrewed the plugs in the housing using two steel pins and a screwdriver.  I also removed the brass bearings holding the shaft, so all that remains is removing the shaft that the brass worm gear is on.  I don't see any keys on the shaft so do I just drive the shaft out through the housing openings with a hammer and large punch?  

I also have the same situation with the large gear, except I am having trouble getting the key out of the keyway under the gear.  I have mangled one end of it trying to grab it with pliers, so can I now try to punch it all the way through from the other side through the holes in the housing?  I am so close, but don't want to screw this up.  Please help!

the bronze gear;

If I remember rightly..the shaft has a shoulder on one end. It goes only one way. There is a key inside the Hub of the gear. Do not place any torque onto the o.d of the gear as it bends very very easily. Use the hub only/back up the hub when drifting the shaft out of or into the bronze gear hub.

The big (steel) gear;

yes, you drive the shaft through. Be sure to back out the set screw......right!? Take the set screw out and spray some light oil into the hole. Move(drive) the shaft back and forth to lossen it. It goes out either direction., But I"d prefer the non handle end to pas through the gear hub. 

I'm having second thoughts about removing the shafts.  I don't want to chance damaging the gears, so I'm going to leave them in place and try using degreaser to clean out the interior of the gear housing.  The gears themselves are in good shape, it's mainly the bottom of the housing that is gunked up.  The previous owner apparently used grease on all internal parts rather than oil, so there's lots of it.  

Looking in my notes, I see nothing about shaft removal for the bronze gear and the larger cast iron gear. That tells me I have never encountered any problems with doing so. I can remember doing this quite a number of times and if I had issues, I'd have make notes.

The notes I have are that of  R&R  of the worm gear/bearing repair.