I Forge Iron

Charcoal too hot!

Grem

So I was playing with Titanium and some Carbon Steels.

Underestimated how hot I could get the charcoal and melted the metals haha.

Still though it was fun. My set up isn't pretty, but for someone with no money and using what I could find, I don't think it's too shabby.

Thoughts?

post-40639-0-80150100-1393277421_thumb.j

post-40639-0-10869600-1393277440_thumb.j

post-40639-0-92763400-1393277454_thumb.j

Charcoal was the only forging fuel up to the high/late middle ages when coal came in as an additional fuel.  For smelting iron charcoal was the only fuel until the 1700's when coked coal was used.  Wootz was melted with charcoal fueled furnaces. Traditionally made japanese swords still use charcoal smelted tamahagane and charcoal for forge welding and forging.  Why would one not think it would get "hot"?

Well I wasn't thinking it wouldn't get hot, I knew charcoal burns hot enough to melt Iron. I just didn't realize I was blasting enough air to make it get that hot.

I mean it's not like I'm running a blast furnace filled to the brim with charcoal. 

I wasn't expecting -THAT- heat. Consequence to learning what it's capable of haha. Still though I have plenty of fun with it.

I did indeed, and I've avoided that happening a second time.

Part of the issue I think I didn't have borax the first run through so the scale build up was so think even after brushing it, It never actually looked that hot. I could tell it was just off the radiant heat alone, but the color itself never really got past a bright red. Even when the steel was molten which was odd to me.

However the second run with it using the borax, I was able to clean the steel up quite nicely and see the various color changes it goes through while heating up.

I was able to do a sloppy, yet successful forge weld.

Well I live in Vegas which is incidentally not far from a big Coal mine, so I can get coal for the same price as Charcoal here.

I've been told Coal was better because it traps radiant heat a lot better which yields a more thorough heating of the metal, we well as burning longer than charcoal. It's actually harder for me to get Charcoal here because I live in a treeless desert.

I was just taken by how hot I got it without really trying. 

Today I get to build my foundry! Waste oil for the win baby.