I Forge Iron

quenching Tommy Tongs?

Jacob Nothstine

A friend let me use his box style Tommy Tongs to forge with. I was going to order a pair on line and came across a post that said it was bad to quench Tommy Tongs? Is this true for Tommy tongs or any tongs? I didn't let them get orange or yellow but did heat them up good. I didn't want to leave them around hot because of my kids so I put them in the water bucket when I was done. 

Thanks, Jacob 

Greetings Jacob,

Tongs are for holding and putting the stock in the forge than holding when you forge..   If you stick to this they will never get that hot..  A simple dip in the slack tub will control the temperature.  Never leave the tongs attached to the stock while in the fire..  Just an old boys 2c

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I like to make tongs from 5160, and never quench after forging. I do cool them if they get hot during forging. 5160 is an excellent material for tongs as you can make them light and they are tough. If you go to youtube, you can find a jig I designed called power hammer tong jig. Coil springs are readily available for next to nothing.

John