I Forge Iron

Smoked out!

2Tim215

Hi all

After two years without coal I managed to get my hands on 2 tons yesterday. Now I am having issues with my new forge. My first three forges had no problems but I am very limited to what I can do where I live now.

post-14922-0-20499000-1392910629_thumb.j post-14922-0-72755900-1392910657_thumb.j post-14922-0-82599700-1392910687_thumb.j

The attached pics show the only possible set up. I can not go up or bigger. Outside I can't go higher. I have a fan blowing into the chimney to create flow with a piece of steel to deflect it. But the problem is I still get way too much smoke for it to be safe for me inside the w/shop. If any of you cleverer people can come up with a solution I would be very happy. Really need to start forging now.

Tim

Befoe some one else beats me to it, if you update your profile to include an idea where in the world your from some one might just be local that can help.
But otherwise, if you truely can't install a proper flue, you may have to resort to a powerd vent hood. Something between your kitchen range and a commertial kitchen.
As always a CO detector is always advised in inclosed spaces.

First move your blower outside and install it in the bottom of your elbow ( right angle bend) blowing up! Second close in the opening of your hood to about  12" wide by 16" tall. 

These suggestions may not make it perfect but will surely improve your forges performance.

Sorry, on the mobile version I didn't find your location, and yes your attempting to ad assisted ventilation, but you going to have to go with full on power ventilation. If I was trying to scrounge up something I'd look into a kitchen range hood, minus the dinky fan, and attempt to locate the exhaust blower from a high efficiency HVAC unit or boiler. Even a pellet stove. There small but designed to handle combustion exhaust. What you can source econamicaly in South Africa? You'll have to tell me. The fact is your going to have to suck the exhaust out, because you just won't get adequate draw with the short flue.
If you can't sorce a blower that will live in the exast stream you may use a larger blower ( from a HVAC unit or one of those high volume squirm cage fans) mouted at flore level, duckted up the wall and out your window, plumbing your exhaust flue into the side and using the venturi effect. The placement of your fan is probbably interfering with flow.
Hope that makes sence.

Thanks guys. What I have is a industrial air con fan - used to push a lot of air through ducting at the mall. Should do the job. I thought where it was placed was the problem and I was thinking today to put it at the elbow outside, I don't think this fan will handle the heat in the flu so it has to be outside so will have to fabricate a water proof box for it. Was hoping not to have to do that. 

Thanks again. More work tomorrow :o