I Forge Iron

Are there some ratios to keep in mind when making tongs?

rdennett

There was an old chart from one of the earlier Machinerys Handbooks IIRC; ah yes it's on that page you linked off Anvilfire---which will probably disappear from here ASAP as Jock doesn't like links much.  So over at anvilfire under the Iforge  area there are several tong making demos and the one mentioned with the chart is the first one.

glenn posted 2 or 3 dimension charts for different tong styles a few months ago too, I cant recall if one was for bolt head or not, but they could probably be modified to get there.  you can always take or find a picture of a pair that you find pleasing or functional and scale your dimensions from that design.

You need to take into account the date and use of the tongs described.  

Make a set from modeling clay and see if it fits your needs. If so good. If not reshape the clay until it fits your needs and your work. You now have the proper pattern to follow when you get to the forge.

Tongs are not immutable objects and the ones that have overly large bits tend to be the ones that find their way into mutating to a set I need for a special job.

I once picked up and *old* wrought iron with steeled tips set of overly large pincers--the jaws were about 2" wide but with short handles so no way to provide enough umph on them to drive such a set of tips with such a large bow in the jaws.  However they have a proud place in my shop and in my travel kit reforged into "hot firebrick tongs"  where they work a treat and I never have to juggle a glowing firebrick that a student has knocked over or I am re-shaping the forge front for a different project.