I Forge Iron

Coal Price SCORE!

I just found a supplier of Bituminus coal for $.07 to $.10 per pound depending on size! :D I guess I'll be holding off on building the propane forge... Especially with the way propane prices are...

Now the real question is should I start off with a basic breakdrum forge or build a nicer one so I dont have to do it later on down the road?

• 3 weeks later...

You should be able to get an analysis of the coal from the supplier as to it's make up, i.e. ash and sulfur content BTU rating, etc..,. Yesterday I helped a friend bag two and a half tons of coal he picked up from a mine. He had received the analysis and it showed very low sulfur and ash with high BTU. We took a bag into the shop and tried it out. We were not disappointed.

Call a farrier and ask, even if that one doesn't use coal s/he'll know one or more who do and you can call them. Heck, see if you can hook up with them and maybe learn a few new strokes.

Frosty The Lucky.

Around here I know of one farrier who still uses a coal forge on his truck to shoe out of, and forty with gassers, and a bunch of guys whacking cold shoes:-)  If you can find some old school farriers, and can get by their sometimes gruff, opinionated demeaner they could teach you something ;-) Me I am less old, less gruff, still pretty opinionated, not really meaner ;-) But I might be able to teach you something... ;-)