I Forge Iron

Questions about detached garage shop

Hi all,

I am moving to a new place this week that has a detached garage I will be setting up in. I have some basic questions for you all just out of some concerns.

The first is, with wood frame and drywall, is there anything that I should consider doing? Maybe replacing some of the drywall with a fire resistant fiberboard where my forge will be?

Secondly, I am debating on building a coal forge - I have only dealt with gas and an open outdoor coal forge before. Reading up, I would want a chimney that extends at least 4 feet beyond my roof. I'm wondering if there are any other considerations I should take into account for this as well?

Any advice is wonderful on safely setting up my new shop, thanks in advance! :)

5/8" drywall is a 1.5 hr fire rating if I remember right.

Do you have close neighbors? If so, noise may be the biggest factor. Coal forges also give off a bit of stink, and smoke which can also be a problem depending where. you are at.

Also investigate your local codes regarding blacksmithing.

The neighbor house is fairly close to the detached garage, I believe about 60 feet or so with some trees in the way that would hopefully deaden the noise.

I didn't know that about the fire rating, thanks!

I'll check out the code as well - Thanks for the tips big gun!

Read the posts on making an anvil quieter, that was a big selling point on the Fisher my Dad bought-very quiet compared to other makes.

One thing I would do is get to be good friends with the neighbors. If they like what you do, or have an interest in it, that will go a long way towards stress free smithing. Happy neighbors are less prone to all in complaints. Code enforcement can be very stressful on you. I had county code come down on me some concerning cars I have, but I knew the code better than them, and I was in the right. Even so, it was a pain, and very stressful dealing with them.

Plus anything you can do to deaden the sound in the garage will help.

Good luck!

Sheet rock is pretty darned fire resistant but hanging cement board on 1/2" or better standoffs between it and the forge will make even a fire inspector happier. LOTS.

There are a number of good posts about getting coal smoke out of the shop and getting make up air in. You MUST have make up air no matter what kind of fire you use. combustion WILL produce CO2 and CO, the CO is the killer so buy and install CO alarms. Ventilate well, there are good posts about that here too, several written by guys who make a living designing ventilation so read em all.

A detached garage is the best kind for a smithy, a fire won't take the whole house.

Frosty The Lucky.

njanvilman - I'm just north west of the twin cities in Minnesota, so it gets quite cold here. I have a heater in the garage - any suggestions on getting fresh air cycling through the shop without a loss of much heat?

SoCal Dave - Yes there is a 100amp service panel ran out to the garage with 220

Thanks for the tips on the anvil ring and neighbors, BIGGUN - It's a slightly more rural town, used to be a larger farm community that has become developed, so definitely hoping that makes people more curious and interested than suspicious :)

Excellent tips Frosty thanks, I will look for those posts on ventilation.