I Forge Iron

Leaking water bosh

Curly

Got a side blast forge which I have finally got around to installing. Filled up the water bosh on the back, came back the next day, turned on the fan and got a load of water coming out of the tue iron.

So any tips on sealing a tank that will be constantly submerged in hot water? Was thinking of coating the whole inside with waxoyl which is a waterproof sealant for treating underside of cars but not sure how it would hold up to hot water.

Could pull it all apart but think it would be cause more problems.

Depends wher the leak is, you could could try car radiator sealant. Radweld in the can, or there is a granulated form in a packet Most petrol stations carry it.

Otherwise the old time add mustard or chuck in a raw egg that may work.

On the other hand you may have to make a new setup

One advantage that a bottom blast has over the side blast is you don't suffer this problem, (unless its left ouside in the current weather uncovered.)

Thanks John, might try the radiator sealant. Of course I installed the forge and sealed in the flue before I tested the bosh! Will chuck in an egg for good measure as well.

Think the leak is between where the fan and tue iron connect. Might also try loosening that and putting a load of sealant in there and tightening it back up.

Thanks John, might try the radiator sealant. Of course I installed the forge and sealed in the flue before I tested the bosh! Will chuck in an egg for good measure as well.

Think the leak is between where the fan and tue iron connect. Might also try loosening that and putting a load of sealant in there and tightening it back up.

Could be the gasket has dried out and cracked,

Undo, seperate and clean faces, make new gasket from leather (bottom of your extra long leather pinnie), and grease/oil it (or use gasket goo type stuff if you have to) replace all parts fitting new bolts and nuts, grease the threads before assembly, and tighten up,   should be watertight then

Good luck

The lady next to my workshop is a saddler so I'll see if I can get some leather off cuts from her. Thanks for the suggestion, seems like a great traditional way of doing it without the need of chemicals and other sealants!

Well spent some time today stripping it all down. Thankfully it looks like the gasket which was some silicon between the fan and tank had failed. Probably due to moving the forge around. The tue iron looks in good conditon so might either try some more silicon or give the leather and grease a go!