I Forge Iron

a kangaroo

Here's a pic of my scrap kangaroo. The head is mounted on a bearing so can be in any position. The are two Bosch spark plugs on his front. I call him Skippy the Bosch kangaroo. (My fellow Australians will understand that!)
Yeah, I know. Too much time on my hands.

post-50874-0-67137500-1391084052_thumb.j

Love the attitude! great stance , clever use of  the  'right'  part  , - well done mate ,  what is your next masterpiece?

G'day Scrap,
Next masterpiece? Well, not sure , but as you would know, there's always something in mind. I'm thinking a ringtail possum on a branch with forged gum leaves and gum nuts would look good. we are indeed fortunate in Australia to have so many great animals to draw our inspiration from. I like to do snakes in the forge, red bellied blacks and copperheads. My scrap animals include echidnas (a catalytic converter and a hundred or so three inch nails), platypus, lizards and crocs, scorpions and bull ants, and a few domestic things like Oxy (the gas bottle daschund), cat doorstops and potplant holders. chooks and roosters, gas bottle pigs etc.
Just finished a cassowary. Wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but here's a pic anyway. The casque on his Head is an axe, scarifier beak, ballbearing eyes and lots of scrap bar.

post-50874-0-41160400-1391211410_thumb.j

That cassowary is SOOOOO good. If you didn't know how lethal these xxxxxxx are ask yourself why there are more warning signs on its enclosure than the big saltwater crocodiles at the zoo in Nth Queensland.

That is outstanding mate! looking at your smaller stuff I see you have access to some very envious scrap. I always say "use your best bits , you will always find more" .... I see you are using this principal. I  now have some serious competition.I will now have to work a lot harder.LOL  cheers mate

Andrew,
Thanks. Yes, I do have access to lots of scrap. I invite people to dump their metal rubbish on my property instead of taking it to the rubbish tip. I'll dump what's rubbish.
I was interested to read your comment about 'use your best bits'. A good principle, because there is a tendency to 'save' the best bits for a future project. My wife agrees - she gets out the crystal for a glass of wine.
Anyway, here are a couple more angles of the kangaroo. Yes, the elbows are made from tug hooks from the horse hames. No doubt you have a few of them too. Interesting that the flat of the hook is stamped with the maker's mark and many of them have a kangaroo stamp. I was told they were made in England, ironically. There's an "Emu" brand too, in the shape of an egg. I tried forging one of those hooks once. Not as easy as it looks.
Anyway, here's more of Skip:
post-50874-0-75945100-1391414838_thumb.jpost-50874-0-26655700-1391414932_thumb.jpost-50874-0-45754400-1391414957_thumb.j

Yeah, he's in a gallery at the moment but I had to put a NFS tag on him. Until I can build another one, I want to keep him. Don't know if you ever get to Brisbane, but if you do, have a look at the ones in Queen Street mall. Very clever pieces.

Here's a pic:

post-50874-0-32116300-1391862843_thumb.j

looks neat I bet your a master at puzzles the way all the pieces fit haha, sad too see vintage tools getting used though. Cant wait to see the next one

Nah, not too good at puzzles! Haven't got the time.

Not too many vintage tools in the kangaroo, Jimmy. A couple of halves of an el-cheapo multigrip pliers, a few horseshoes, some old scissors, and a couple of no-name open end spanners. The feet are arms off a busted pair of boltcutters, and the legs are halves of an old engine stabiliser bar from my son's race car. The ears are off a radiator fan.

Only thing I can think of that's vintage are the horse hames tug hooks on the upper arm. I have a collection of those with different stampings on them, and they were extras. He's pretty much all junk.

The cool part is after you told me whats in it I went back to look for what you said haha , it's like where's Waldo . What clear do you use? I've had clear lacquer last great and some peel out of the same can with the same prep.

Yeah, some of the finishes you get are not too good. I use a White Knight spray product called Rust Stop Clear Finish. It's Ok for inside things but for outside I use Extrol or Rustmasters, painted on. It darkens the metal, but is good for protection against the weather. Supposedly solar stabilised too. I have heard of folks using Penetrol with a 25% mix of marine varnish which seems to work pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...

That is amazing. How much does he weigh. ?

Sorry, I missed your question. I haven't actually weighed him but it takes two of us to lift him into the ute. The two brake drums used for the top of the legs add some weight. At an estimate I would say about 60 kg. Don't know what that is in pounds.

About 2.2 pounds to the kilo if I Remember, so it would be around at least 120-140 pounds.

Sorry but haven't done the conversions much since I stopped doing archery 5 years ago.

I really have to show a smith at my local club some pics of your work, he does similar stuff but not as detailed.

The one I remember best is a frog, the back was lengths of chain from a bike or motor. The mouth was those spade like bits from a plow?, can't remember what the feet were though the eyes were a pair of nuts off of bolts.