I Forge Iron

noob from Kingston, Ontario

eggwelder

not really new, have been haunting this forum for a few years. I have been ruining good scrap for 14 years now,and  have not yet met another smith. Everything i know is from reading and occasionally getting access to one of the demos/tutorials on here. i do some knives and tomahawks, make a few tools/ parts when i need to. too cold where i am to be at this outside, occasionally i get out there in the winter. i also do some metal casting occasionally as well .

have 4 kids, 3 moved out and gone west, one at home, and he will be for a while. I`ve been in in the Canadian Army for 25 yrs now, am considering pulling the pin in a year or two, build a more permanent shop, and picking up the hammer a bit more often. my wife encourages it, especially after i recently sold my first few pieces.

I`m joining this mostly to have others to talk to about blacksmithing, without having to explain myself or getting "what the heck are you talking about?" looks. i`m sure there are those here who understand. I also want to learn, as there are guys here that will have forgotten more than i`ll ever know about blacksmithing.

not really new, have been haunting this forum for a few years.

What took you so long to join up? After all we are here to encourage you, to share in your success, and to suggest ways to improve.  

If you add your general location to your profile, most likely there is someone near your location.

Ask questions and we will be glad to answer them. IF we provide a reference, please read it over and come back with more detailed questions so we can provide more detailed answers. But you know this already as you have no doubt read it on the site before. (grin)

Thank you for taking the time to join us. 

I know most of our meetings are in the middle part of the province  but it is well worth the drive to come to some meetings.  I have driven to Kingston for meetings in the past.  We have a few members in the Trenton area who I believe meet some evenings. 

I was a memeber of ABANA in 2004/5. still have the 2 quarterlys they put out. anvil`s ring and hammers blow. i have looked up the OABA on line. will probably join but i really only have less than 2 yrs left in ontario. is there a Newfoundland organization? that is where i`ll be retiring eventually. i only found one or two smiths there, and one was no longer smithing, was in a retirement home, and the other didn`t return calls.