I Forge Iron

Quiet times of the year

carry on with commission work, make stock for summer shows/busier times.. concentrate on marketing, explore new avenues to sell...  doesn't seem to be a quiet time ever actually, do things in the workshop that i've put off when I was busy,  always plenty to do!!!

Like Colleen says, good time to do some more marketing and finding nee places to sell. Try to think outside of markets. Marketing leaflets dotted around, selling into retailers, chasing leads that you might have found from shows, increasing online presence etc etc

Valentines is only around the corner, how are your hearts?!

If you really have nothing to do I could do with 2 new workbenches, a plasma cutting table plus generally making my cattle shed less barn like and more forge like. Can supply tea and bacon :)

Time to finish old projects, make new tools that will make you more efficient, try a new challenge you didn't want to start when you were busy because of the learning curve and time involved.  Prepare yourself for the next busy time of year.

Greetings Joel, 

Do what I do...  Pick out the lousiest job that you have been putting off and do it first thing in the morning...  It sets the pace and you will feel much better....  I am retired from my business but in slow times I built up inventory so when designers and new customers came to the shop I was ready..   Tables..  pot racks... towel racks..  sculptures .. hooks and rings and things..  The list goes on..   You just never know where and when a customer is ready to spend some dollars..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I was thinking about this just this morning as things are slower here as well, glad to hear you heard back on those commissions!  In addition to what's already been said my ears perk up for any odd welding or mechanic jobs.  Just casually I asked I guy at the gym today how his old truck was running.  Next thing I know he's telling me about everything that's going wrong on it and if I know a good mechanic.  I don't know one because I do all my own work, but told him what I would roughly charge and gave him my contact info.  Times like this it's good to have other needed skills.

• 3 weeks later...