I Forge Iron

First tongs

My first usable tongs, a flux spoon, and an anvil hold-down. Made from 5/8" coil spring, the tongs are sized for 1/4" flat and are not pretty, but they work!

Flux spoon is from 3/8" mild steel, I squared a section & twisted it just for practice.

Anvil hold-down is mild 1/2" steel, It works, but I am going to try coil spring for the next one.post-25473-0-71989900-1390425205_thumb.j

Good looking work all round. My first pair of tongs were near perfect for turning hot dogs on a grill, not so good for forging. <grin>

The holdfast looks like it'll do well. At a recent clinic the demonstrator (who's name escapes me right now but I can blame the TREE) used holdfasts with a cross bar welded as a foot. They worked exceptionally well you can hold long pieces in the middle, along the anvil's edge, etc. Very handy mod. I only made one little mod and used/forged a longitudinal curve, like a slice lengthwise of pipe so the holdfast foot wouldn't mark the work.

Frosty The Lucky.

Gordon Williams, yes, thanks Mark. If you spot typos and such within a few hours of making the mistake you can click the "Edit" button at the bottom right of the post next to the "Report, Multi quote and Quote" buttons and correct mistakes. I know I use it all the time. Like right now. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

You might be thinking of Ken's Custom Iron.

http://www.kensiron.com/store.html

Those are still a "twist" type of making one.

Best though, is to keep working on making your own.  Sounds like you have plenty of time to practice.  You won't learn much about smithing by buying and not working your own iron.  "Practice makes perfect" (or nearly so).  Good luck :)