I Forge Iron

First Knife

Dakman72

This my first post. I'm 17 and have been forging for about a year and a half. I feel like I have the basics down, well, as well as someone can who's been forging for year and a half. But practice makes perfect right? :P Anyway I had made a few railroad spike knives like most people do to start and I felt like making something a little more grown up. It started as a large two handed file that I cut in half. I hammered out the tip first and then forged out the taper. Then I did the bevels. I was going for kind of a hunting knife style and it came out how I wanted. I ground out the tang on the bench grinder and filed and sanded down the blade before heat treat. I just used warm water. When I tested the blade with a sharp file it skated across like I've read it was supposed to do after a successful heat treat. I tempered the spine to a light purple and did the tip and edge to wheat brown. Finished sanding down to a mirror finish and buffed it out on the buffing wheel. The handle is a hidden tang style stuck into deer antler. The guard is brass as well as the butt cap, which is pinned with copper, which I thing is a nice contrast of color. All in all I like it and am proud of how it turned out. Sorry for the long read but I know you guys like knowing how it was done. How about some pictures of it? :D

post-26251-0-53723900-1389466583_thumb.jpost-26251-0-75943700-1389466602_thumb.jpost-26251-0-61040300-1389466619_thumb.jpost-26251-0-99672300-1389466630_thumb.j

Hope yall like it! (sorry for the not awesome picture quality)

Thank you for all the compliments! The blade itsself is 4" long, tip to guard, and 1.25" at the widest point, spine to edge. From tip to butt, in a straight line, it's 9" long. The spine I feel like is where i messed up the most. I ground to much off leaving it 1/8" thick at the back of the spine to just less that 1/32" at the tip. But that's just one more thing to fix next time I guess. :lol:  I'm always learning and that's part of the fun to me. Here is the spine

post-26251-0-91092900-1389481464_thumb.j

Hope yall enjoy!

The reason I feel like i got caried way with the grinding is becasue I didn't want the file teeth to show, and i was a little to worried about the final finish and how it would look, which led to the thin spine. But like I said, just something I'll have to be aware of, and to fix next time.