I Forge Iron

New guy from Ga

Hello everyone. I have just recently started blacksmithing with a harbor freight anvil and I think its time to upgrade. I found this anvil on craigslist locally for $300. He says its 150 pounds, but no other markings. Does anyone recognize this anvil and think its a good buy. I live in middle georgia and dont see alot of anvils for sale. Any info or help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeremy.

post-50225-0-46094600-1389300937_thumb.j

Welcome!  Had to tell from the low-resolution picture but this appears to be a cast-iron bodied anvil (maybe a Vulcan?).  A Vulcan would have had a raised oval shaped logo of an arm and hammer on the side.  Can't tell if there is one there in the picture or not. Looks like there is a raised number on the back side of the foot (probably says 150).  This anvil would be an upgrade from your Harbor Freight, but not much.  It it were me I'd hold out for a nice wrought-iron anvil (Arm & Hammer, Trenton, or Hay Budden) or a decent Fisher.

Excellent shape---for a doorstop or boat anchor.  For blacksmithing it's pretty rough.  I have an old Powell anvil missing the entire heel with the face in better shape than that..  You want smooth as every dent in the face will be in everything you hammer on it.  Note flat is not as important as smooth so quite worn anvils can still do great work if the faces are swayed but smooth

AND DON'T GRIND OR MILL A FACE!

Thanks for the welcome. I have always been interested in blacksmithing and finally started and now im hooked. Hopefully ill be able to find a better anvil soon. Here is a pic of my first knife forged out of a horseshoe. I hope to keep practicing and become as good as the people on this forum.

post-50225-0-97276200-1389315547_thumb.j

Welcome to IFI. There's an Alex Bealer group meet in Atlanta on the 18th if you're interested. Not sure how "central" Georgia you are, but someone there might be able to point you in the right direction. Be patient. It seems like nothing...nothing...nothing out there, then all of a sudden you have to pick between three sweet deals.

I wouldn't pay a dime over scrap prices for that anvil. Pass on this one. I know that's tough to do when a guy is trying to find that first "real" anvil but don't waste your money here. Believe it or not there are lots of other anvils out there.

Patience, grasshopper. That anvil will turn up soon.

Today I went to a local antique mall to look at an anvil that someone told me about. I decided not to get it because it was in horrible shape and had been welded on several times.

But, I did end up buying two 18 inch pieces of railroad track and it is a huge step up from my harbor freight aso. So im gonna use what I have now and keep practicing.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you mention Chattanooga. Im gonna be in soddy daisy this weekend. My family is from there. Im doing some work on my grand parents house. Im trying to get it all done this weekend, but I may have to take you up on that offer one day.