I Forge Iron

LP Propane Regulator Kit Questions

SteveGallo

Hi guys,

I'm looking at some 0-30 psi kits and there's a fairly large variance in prices.  Larry Zoeller has a kit for ~$80 + shipping, but comes with a gauge and a ball valve.  High temp tools has one without a ball valve for ~$50 + shipping.  I found this one on ebay from Bayou Classic at http://www.ebay.com/itm/LPG-Propane-Regulator-Adjustable-High-Pressure-0-30-psi-Bayou-Classic-M5HPR-30-/191001242332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c788faadc that has neither a ball valve or gauge, but is only $35 with free shipping.  It seems to be made for frying or grilling and uses a braided cable, so I have no idea if it's doable for a venturi burner.  There's also a few random ones on ebay from lithuania.

Can anyone recommend one?  I obviously want to go with the cheapest suitable option without cutting any corners.  Thanks!

I need help with this too.  I found one adjustable regulator at tractorsupply.com.  "Mr. Heater® High Pressure Regulator with P.O.L." for $20.  It only goes to 20PSI and doesn't include hoses.

tejassmokers.com has a COMRI-30, which includes a hosts, 0 to 30psi regulator, and gauge for $56.  Its another $12 for the wrenchless connector. (add about $20 for a braided hose).

amazon.com has an Bayou Classic 0-30 PSI adjustable regulator for $27.  It doesn't have a gauge but it includes a braided hose.

my local propane shop appears prepared to charge me $80 for the hose, gauge and regulator.

Right now, I have an OLD regulator and hose from my beer brewing days.  It goes up to 20PSI and seems to work fine.  I'd like to get something with a pressure gauge so that I have a better idea about what I'm doing.  I also think it will help me know if my burner's behaving correctly to know what PSI I'm at.

I guess at this point I need a better idea about how much it should expect to spend on a hose, gauge and regulator.  Pointers to a one stop shop would be nice too....

thx.

a ball valve  to do a quick shut-off of fuel to the burner is a very good idea,

The gauge is nice, but not entirely necessary - eventually you'll do it all by eye and ear - what the flame looks and sounds like.  It may be helpful to know that a particular steel welds well at 15 psi versus 20 psi, but I don't know how really accurate the gauge is in reality.

I've used both the Bayou Classic and the High-Temp Tools/Zoeller Forge set-ups.  Long term I trust the more expensive regulator more, but I can't articulate why that is - the Bayou Classic works just fine.  I wouldn't use the Bayou Classic without a ball valve for a shut-off though.

Happy New Year,

Safety doesn't come with a "cheap" designation. Buy a reasonable priced regulator and hose. Propane and Acetylene SHOULD have left hand threads (so it can't get mixed up with a non fuel gas). If you can get regulator, hose and shut-off from a local supplier, support your neighbour. If you don't support your neighbour, it is awkward to ask for help and expect an answer.

A shut-off ball valve is your "Get out of Jail" card. If you are working and have to shut down for an unforseen reason, Turn the Ball Valve (Fire goes out immediately). A ball valve should not be used to vary fuel flow, that is what a regulator is for. All good regulators have a port for a gauge, you can buy a gauge from many places (your neighbour welding supply).

just my $.02

Neil

I bought a 0-50psi regulator about 20 years ago for $27. and change at the local propane supplier, same units were in the $30 range at hardware and RV stores. 8' of propane hose w/ fittings cost more. The gauge cost something under $10. The 1/4 turn valves cost less than $30 and I bought 4.

There's no need for 0-50psi, 0-30 is more than enough. I'm sure prices have probably doubled since I bought mine but the hose is probably still the  most expensive single component on my forge.

Write what you need on a sheet of paper, be clear and keep it simple. For instance: Propane regulator, 0-30psi. Screw fittings for x diameter hose. Then hit the yellow pages in the phone book. Write the company name and number on the pad and give them a call. Write the price and availability next to the name. Repeat till you've gone through all the outfits who carry propane appliances.

Then go shopping.

The internet is a hugely useful tool but falls far short of many of the old time tools like calling around and asking good questions. By good questions your approach is important, you're calling someone at work and taking up time so have your poop in a group. Know what you need to know. If you don't know exactly what to ask, let the person know and ask if they have time to help you figure whatever it is out. You have no idea how many times I've picked a number out of the book and started the conversation with, my name and "I have some off the wall questions but don't want to waste your time." You'd be amazed at how many poor office bound folk just LOVE an interesting break in routine. Another common question I ask is, "do you carry or do X?" Followed by, "Do you know who does?"

A person to person conversation can cover more ground in next to no time than anyone is ever going to put on a web site. Heck, fewer and fewer web sites even have a contact that isn't an order page or more "valuable offers."

Frosty The Lucky.