I Forge Iron

admiral steel is way cheaper than the nj steel baron

homeshow

I just bought 2 6 ft lengths of 1095 for $5.00 more than the barons price for 2 4 ft lengths. This is the after shippping price. $63.54 for 12 ft is 5 bucks and change per foot. Or $2.59 per blank. Big thanks to whoever listed Admiral steel in the knife lessons.

The big problem I and some others have had with Admiral Steel is they do not always send what was ordered.  Many years ago they advertized L-6.   I ordered some they sent 8670m, and I still have some left to get rid of.  They did not tell me when I ordered,  I found out when I unpacked the order.   I know a few others have had this issue.  I knew more than a few complaints started coming in because of that.  We found out later they never had L6.  They have since removed it from their sales list.  Also one time I had ordered 1095,  and they sent me 1080.

Since they have an "odd"  way of filling orders, I will only order from them if I run out and can't get anything soon enough from my normal suppliers, or only need one piece, and am willing to take the risk.  At least the delivery paperwork seemed to match what I received, if not what I had actually ordered. 

Dealing with Aldo @ NJSteelbaron has been a breeze, and his stuff is first rate.  I am willing to pay a slightly higher amount for known steels.  I was careful wording this post to avoid legal problem with them.  But buyer beware.

that is nice, BUT when you advertise something and sell it as such, but it is not as described ... there is a problem

eg.. i bought some cpm 154 that was hot rolled and annealed ...   it was Not annealed properly, and had lots of forge scale deeply driven into the stock  (  = costing more in grinding belts and time )   why as with Aldo, this never happens

i do use admiral for PW stuff..   1095 and 1080 is good for that

so theres both good n bad

I have no problem with the last batch from admiral. I don't use stock reduction. I forge my blades.

The original intent of the supplier list was to have names of places that users of this site are comfortable with dealings with and have had prior successful dealings with. I am another one that has had problems with Admiral and know of two others that have had issues. 

Why do we have them on the list? if they do not meet that criteria?

I placed it there because people kept adding them to be included.   So by adding them to the list, with the warnings,  it should resolve the additional postings of the URL for consideration, as well as lets people know its not always the best choice for ordering.

In the supplier list,    right under their name is the addition of ..'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>> right under the admiral listing I wrote

in the past I had been sent a replacement steel from Admiral for what I ordered, and not told until after I got the delivery, be warned.

I am not sure how to make it more clear or visible than that.  If people started other threads about this same thing in other places, I can not help that.  We do try to keep things re located together to avoid those issues.

Steve, I'm amazed at you, with respect if you are using a credit card and particularly if you use an Amex gold card(I speak from experience here) and they don't send you what you ordered just ask the bank to stop payment based on incorrect delivery. They do it quite promptly , admittedly you don't get the money back for a while but they don't have it either.

You could even get cheeky by offering to return the goods subject to your ''normal'' handling charge :P alternatively they could collect it at your address between the hours of x and y. I mean what were they thinking ? :D

I did raise a stink with VISA about it.  The point about Admiral is that it is bad business to not tell us.  I always call in my orders, I do not usually fill out an on-line form.   As I told the CC company,  Admiral could and should have told me when we were on the phone when I ordered, not waited until after I get an order of substitutes in my shop to find out.

Lucky for me I have a little sister that is a lawyer of business law. I prefer to do my business with others now after that mess, and I try to warn others of how I was treated.