I Forge Iron

Reference Books

backyardsmithing

First off, let me say that I am not the blacksmith.  My husband started playing around with blacksmith knives out of railroad spikes several months ago and seems to really enjoy it.  He has the book The Complete Modern Blacksmith by Alexander Weygers and has learned a good deal from it.  My son is pushing him to do more knives/tomahawks ect... and I think he would enjoy "branching" out.  Since it is Christmas, I was wanting to order him a book or two, but there are soooo many and I just don't know enough about it to know what to get.  I am hoping I can get some advice here.  The basics of what I know.  He built a forge and uses coal for heat (I'm sorry, I know it's pathetic that I don't know more).  I am leaning towards a knife making book or weapon making type book.  I know he enjoys doing the railroad spike knives and has even played around with other metals, but these were mainly made as a gift for nieces and nephews and not really for use.  I think he would enjoy being able to make a functional knife and other, as my 15 year old would say "cool" weapons.  He hasn't gotten around to building his big forge yet, so I don't think he would be ready to do swords yet.  Can anyone offer any book advice?  Also, he doesn't like to read, so it would really need to keep his attention.  Thank you so much for your help.

I would suggest the 50 dollar knife shop. http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Goddards-Knife-Shop-Revised/dp/0896892956

It helps to keep you thinking outside the box on what you can do with what you have.  As far as technique books I would point you in the direction of Mark Aspery's at least first book which deals with the many ways to set up shop, forge tools, and move metal for different purposes. Worth every penny in my opinion. http://www.markaspery.com/School_of_Blacksmithing/Home.html 

If blades are his primary focus then I would also point you over to another forum that will have books in that realm to offer you for suggestions. http://www.bladesmithsforum.com 

As far as technique there are some free ones on ABANA's website. http://www.abana.org/resources/education/chf.shtml

Good morning all

The new edge of the anvil by Jack Andrews, this is a general blacksmithing reference. The general consensus is to learn the basic blacksmithing techniques before specializing.  This is the basic reference for several week long beginning blacksmithing classes.

And I second Thomas’ the $50 knife shop by Wayne Goddard.  I would save the Hrisoulas books for the transitional moment to very serious hobby. - Grant

Thanks for all the great responses.  I have looked at all those books on amazon, and just didn't know where to go from there.

Two others I was looking at were Bladesmithing with Murray Carter

image.png

and A Blacksmithing Primer

image.png

They both seemed to get pretty good reviews, but again, I know nothing about it and would rather have a person who actually does blacksmithing and/or knives advise me than someone who just reads the books :)

So I guess my "new" question would be, if you were to be able to choose only one knifemaking book and one blacksmithing book, which ones would it be?

Thanks again for all your help!  It is greatly appreciated.

Bless your heart Darlin, I hope your husband knows what a lucky dog he really is. I'm not a bladesmith guy, I'd be asking for recommendations if I wanted to start so I don't have any about bladesmithing. For general smithing I recommend Wygers book as they're great for making your own tools and equipment, the guy's a hero of mine.

A last thought, if you get him TWO books for Christmas he'll REALLY owe you. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

For me honestly it would be the two I suggested and that is what I always advise new people I teach to get and read.  I have loreli sims backyard blacksmithing and that i pretty good as a launch point to but I still think the ones I suggested have a larger quantity of good info and Mark Asperys books are full of pictures of stuff step by step with good descriptions as well.

just my 2 cents

There's more to a knife than the steel (although the steel is quite important), and Bo Bergman's Knifemaking: A Complete Guide to Crafting Knives, Handles & Sheaths picks up where a lot of knife-making books leave off. His instructions are very clear (even though they've been translated into English) and he offers up many skills to practice.