I Forge Iron

a beauty

well, it's not mine (sadly, as I am a big fan of the French anvils), I'm just contemplating it - a thing of beauty, which deserves to be shared...

and I think a rarity too:

l'enclume , celle-ci date de 1867'' target='_blank'>l'enclume , celle-ci date de 1867>l'enclume , celle-ci date de 1867

I didn't find a way to post the image, so I used the link

enjoy!

I scrolled through the entire photo library, and that's one very impressive shop.  I'm keen to make a forge like he's got.  Very old-school with the way the bricks are worn. 

You can tell that things got dressed up for the photo shoot, but it was worth it.  I would point out to all the starting smiths to note the details just on the anvil stand as an indicator to the smith's skills and dedication.  Seeing the strapping form-fitted to the odd curves of the stump tells me a lot about the guy running the shop, and the inlet feet of the anvil....  He could have simply bent some pre-fab nails around the feet, but what would that say about him?

I think once you get over a certain weight threshold, a flat base becomes irrelevant.  I could be wrong, but in order for there to be a negative effect, there would have to be flex in the anvil.   Gorgeous anvil, and certainly exceptionally rare.  That's not something you'd value by the pound!