I Forge Iron

Stone cold to white hot in under 50 hammer blows

Pretty cool. Tried this half heartedly a couple days ago. Went from cold about 40F to being a dark red. Stopped at that point as I lost my rhythm and I would probably of been there for a while (hey I am still learning :) ). Still it was pretty neat. 

hi,all   ye if u try it in what is normal mild steel that is a lot of times  a bit tough ,  i use soft steel it the kind used to tie up large bundles of steel , or try wrought iron  or use gp welding rod 6mm

happy hammering

• 2 weeks later...

moony has an advantage, out there it is nearly hot enough to forge so he did not need to raise the temperature much, :)  here it is much nearer freezing so may be harder work

Right on! An anvil in the sun here is way too hot to touch. It's gotta help. It was 45 degrees C in Adelaide yesterday - hottest place on the planet they reckon.

Midsummer right now so I'm going to try that. Great thread - never thought it was possible. :blink:

Moony - you are a legend, mate. I tried this today. I annealed the steel first (using an old welding rod which was pretty soft anyway) and gave it the fifty hits as in the video. I reckon I was hitting it pretty hard, but I didn't even get a glow of colour. The steel was too hot to touch but certainly nowhere near red hot and the quench bucket produced not the slightest hiss. :(

Had another look at the video just now. I see Moony was hitting along the rod. I was hitting the end so maybe the heat disippated rapidly. Another go coming up. :rolleyes:

Don't give the secrets away Moon!!!!.  yes Ausfire leave the anvil out in the sun for a day to preheat, but you must also make sure that the moon is in the 4th quarter, and there is a witch hazel broom laying across the window frame to the south, neglect any of these, and the magic will not work.

Geee Moonie next you will be telling the unwashed masses how the handshake and the sign is made.  Moon, you have to protect the secrets!!!!!

Forgemaster,

Did anyone notice the alignment mark that Moony put on the anvil? That is so he could hold the metal parallel to the mark and in proper alignment. Just a few degrees off perfect alignment and it does not work near as well. But they will try and not knowing about the alignment,  will only get the metal up to warm.

That trick should only be done on the March or September equinox. Moony somehow overlooks the rules and makes it work anyway. (grin)  

• 1 month later...

well to all, it just hammer control and steel moving ,  to get it to happen , and as forgemaster  say,  the un washed need ,  oo  nooo,

i must be in that class , 

an as to hardie cut , if you are that bad a hitter ,  you better go collect  postage stamps  ,

and on the practice till your arm dislocates  please don't   , if you don't get it in 3 goes   try another week or so later    

but it is possible   but not all can