I Forge Iron

Kohlswa anvil, what year?

I'm feeling pretty lucky today. I found a 122 lbs kohlswa anvil in my step father's barn, and he has pecan stumps for it to sit on!

Anyone know how to determine the year it was made? It clearly saws Kohlswa Sweden on one side. This text appears to be from when the anvil was cast. On the other side it says 122 lbs and MADE IN SWEDEN this appears to be stamped. On one foot it says what might be B52. It's pretty light and it's hard to know what the middle number is because of the script.

I'm curious to know if it's possible to determine what year it was manufactured in.

Here are pictures. The green paint is just to make the text easier to read in the pictures.

post-45513-0-60772600-1385680660_thumb.j
post-45513-0-86170400-1385681021_thumb.j
post-45513-0-46196800-1385681000_thumb.j
post-45513-0-08328700-1385681052_thumb.j

I can't help you with the year, but that is a VERY nice anvil, top of the line manufacturer.  If it is going to live outside strap it down hard to that stump to keep the scrap thieves from taking it away.  For that matter you should surround it with land mines and rabid dogs too (just kidding).  But seriously, it will perform better and ring less loudly if you fasten it firmly to that nice stump.  

I have a Soderfors, cast Swedish anvil, a close relative quality wise. It has the date or manufacture stamped in the side opposite the name Soderfors and model name.

While interesting it's birth year has very little bearing in an anvil's quality. Old doesn't mean more valuable or better. As she sits she's as good an anvil as you're likely ever to strike, put her to good use.

Frosty The Lucky.

According to the Kohlswa website, the actual company was founded in 1584 but didn't see steel castings performed until 1886. Once more, the powder metallurgy and shell moulding foundry wasn't created until 1948 after mining engineer Gunnar Nordström took hold of the company's reins. So, by fair deduction one could assume the anvil in the OP to be at least 65 years old.

thanks all.  I understand that age is not an indication of quality in this case.  Its more about determining the history of the anvil.  My step father is in his 70's and thinks it belonged to his great grandfather, the age of the anvil would help determine that story.

I have a 95lb Kohlswa. The company stamp on the side is the same and the the weight is stamped the same. Right under the name though there were a few more marks that I have never really made out. On the bottom of the anvil though was K 3/2 02. Frosty speculated that it might be a date and year March 2nd 1902, though no idea what the K meant. I have done a bunch of searching but never came up with anything. I have thought about writing the manufacture, but I have never done that either. I am always curious about the history of an item like this so I understand the desire to know. 

I have a 95lb Kohlswa. The company stamp on the side is the same and the the weight is stamped the same. Right under the name though there were a few more marks that I have never really made out. On the bottom of the anvil though was K 3/2 02. Frosty speculated that it might be a date and year March 2nd 1902, though no idea what the K meant. I have done a bunch of searching but never came up with anything. I have thought about writing the manufacture, but I have never done that either. I am always curious about the history of an item like this so I understand the desire to know. 

Where on the bottom?  I don't see anything on the surface that it rests on....  I'm going to write them this week.  I'll let you know if they are helpful!

Bring your Kohlswa up to Austin and we have a party.  :-)

It looks to be in great shape and you will be the envy of all your blacksmithing friends.  You must be 6 feet 6 inches tall based on the size of your anvil stump. Mighty tall anvil stump stranger. Seriously, it does look tall, at least for me it would be.  Enjoy it and hammer-on   

Direct from Kohlswa!

Hello Adhamh.

We are happy that you like your Kohlswa Cast Steel Anvil.

Unfortunately it is impossible to stipulate the manufacturing date.

The manufacturing of anvils started around year 1900 and we are still manufacturing approx. 100 anvils per year.

Kind Regards

Kohlswa Gjuteri AB

P.H. Thorerson

President

It looks to be in great shape and you will be the envy of all your blacksmithing friends.  You must be 6 feet 6 inches tall based on the size of your anvil stump. Mighty tall anvil stump stranger. Seriously, it does look tall, at least for me it would be.  Enjoy it and hammer-on   

HA!  I'm 5'10" and the top of the anvil is about 45" high.  It actually seems a little low for me when I'm doing some types or work.  I tend to bend over to get a close look.  I might need it higher for that.  Hum.....  Maybe I need it on a jack so I can raise and lower it as needed.

• 5 years later...