I Forge Iron

Where to find a drum

Bmt1234

So I have been looking for 55 gallon drum for a while now and can't seem to find one that is safe. I have found a couple but I had no idea what was inside so I was afraid to use it. So what I am asking is there any kind of place that would have old oil drums they are not using any more.

About 5 miles right over thataway they have a pile of them... Don't know what COUNTRY you are in so I can't make good suggestions for YOUR situation.

When I lived in Arkansas,  USA, we used to get them from food processing plants----you want to be sure that what was previously in them won't be toxic!

When I lived in Ohio, USA, there was a company around Columbus that would buy them, "flame clean them" and then re-sell them.

Here in Texas/New Mexico I would go to one of the many "We buy scrap" places for one. (And be careful to choose one that didn't have pesticides or *bad* chemicals in it's previous life.)

Be selective on the drum you buy, regarding the content.

Once, I bought a couple of drums that had been used for fiberglass resin.  BAADD CHOICE!!!  Anything with petrochemical or petroleum products will smoke like a locomotive for a long time while you burn out the remaining contents, not to mention the toxic effects.

Stick with food products barrels if you can find them.