I Forge Iron

Klafrestrom no2 power hammer

There was an article in The Hammer's Blow 10 or 15 years ago about rebuilding one of these, and it has a few pages (more than average) in POTP.  It sounds like a hard hitter, and the action in the video is quite snappy.  That's a good thing.   Nice long stroke more than you usually see in a mechanical.  Perhaps most telling is the way the camera DOESN'T shake at each blow indicating good anvil mass, good mounting, or both.  

Smacking the dies together a few times isn't recommended but it can't be any harder on it than 2 shifts a day for 20 years like the industrial hammers are built for.  

No it probably will not brake instantly. But it is very bad for the hammer and clearly abuse of a tool. I am just pointing it out for people that may not know that running power hammers dry is bad for them. I have seen a hand full of people that have a old hammer in the back of a shop and they think its nifty and do not really know how to work it. And every time they have some one around they like to show it off and just run it full out dry. Then one day they do not understand when the die or the hammer or anvil crack on them.

I was really sad when I watched some one run a self contained air hammer with out the lower anvil. The tub was just raising and slamming into the bottom of the frame casting with no anvil to stop the hammer head. I am sure this person destroyed the hammer in less than 20 m

I do like the action and the spring rolling over the helve on this hammer!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh wacking those dies together with nothing in between them made me cringe, I couldn't watch the whole Vid, I had to turn it off. Biggest time for damage with doing that is when everything is cold and brittle, ie in the morning, and going by the fact the guy forging in Vid 2 was dressed for cold weather I'd guess those dies were probably dead cold. In the second vid, when the "forger" breaks the job off his holding bar, is when most old forgers would tell you, that is when you will get the scar from your upper lip, up towards your eye as the hammer hits the job and it flicks up into your face.

• 3 months later...