I Forge Iron

First Blade, First Project

rhornback

Tip: always mention the alloy and heat treat when asking for knife tips.

(I assume you already know about draw filing and how soaking the as forged blade overnight in vinegar and washing the scale off in the morning will make your files last longer...)

Tip:  this time of year a lot of people buy gallons of peanut oil to fry one turkey in and then discard it---makes a great quenchant for many alloys!

The blade looks good from what I can see and I agree that without knowing the steel it can be hard to suggest any tips. On the other photo you may want to invest in some supports on the forge so you can't tip over the fire pot could be dangerous and as a fireman I strongly recommend a sturdy base.

Awesome feedback guys learned a lot and I’ll bet you guys didn’t even know that you had taught me anything… Thomas, thank you I didn’t in fact know that at all, most likely going to avoid the peanut oil though however, unless the knife I finish is to be my last. Sever allergy. As for the metal guys, I honestly don’t know I picked it up from a scrap yard, its tough as nails, and also made an awesome cutting chisel. Tantrum the forge is on solid ground I assure you I’m a safety major so that always a concern for myself as well. If those blocked go over I will be the first to say you were right though. Now Thomas when you say vinegar will get the scale off, does this apply to metals that haven’t been heat treated? I haven’t heat treated it yet, whats the best method?