I Forge Iron

Got yelled at over an Anvil today...

I walked into an antique mall today, kinda an old dingy place, more of a junk store than anything really.

Right inside the door is a smaller 'roughly' 125 - 150lb Peter Wright Anvil in half decent condition, wasn't pristine, but it was alright.

It was marked $325 seemed high to me, but Im a newb... but I figure Im also at a junk store.

I offered the clerk $190 (What I had in my wallet) for it and the man loses his mind, starts yelling and cussing at me asking if Im trying to get hm shot or something... a rather high strung individual.

I thanked him for his time and left the store, I don't do well with strangers raising their voice to me without cause.

But it begs the question, was I THAT far off the mark that my offer incited such a response? :P

Around me it would have been a fair price for that sized anvil in decent condition.  My 100 lb acme cost me 100 dollars just as a reference.  Sadly some people have an inflated idea of how much things are really worth and theres no talking them out of it.  You just gotta shrug and walk away.  To bad,  Hopefully another will cross your path soon.   :D  

Using flea market price negotiation in a retail store is a bit crude. if someone has put the time and effort in to running a shop they expect to make at least a margin on their stock, you really need to put the feelers out and see if they are receptive to offers or deals before you hit them between the eyes with a "take it or leave it " offer.

Using flea market price negotiation in a retail store is a bit crude. if someone has put the time and effort in to running a shop they expect to make at least a margin on their stock, you really need to put the feelers out and see if they are receptive to offers or deals before you hit them between the eyes with a "take it or leave it " offer.

I wouldn't call it retail, It was one of those 'antique/junk mall' things with like 50 'booths'. Its common practice to wheel and deal in places like that... like a pawn shop. The money in my pocket was what I was willing to spend, I REALLY wanted the anvil (its the first REAL one I have seen), and I thought it was a fair offer.

*shrugs*

More and more people working in customer service are extremely rude these days. The price you offered was fair enough. But even if the offer was 5 cents there is no reason for the clerk to yell and cuss at you. Just make sure to tell all your friends and other other people in this line of work how rude this shop was. People that are rude tend to go out of business faster than polite people.

Well, if you REALLY want it, then go back for round two and have another go after buttering him up. What is he going to do , call the cops and have you arrested for visiting his shop twice? That's one of the lessons I learned far to late in life "don't die wondering what might have been" ( especially where women are concerned, I aint no George Clooney in the looks department) Some days it feels like people line up to say no to you when you want something. If that doesn't work, start asking every person you see if they know of anyone with some old blacksmiths gear, you will probably end up with a shed-load of fantastic tools and that is worth far more than an anvil IMO

I offered to swap some steel and a days labor to someone to fix his old stone shed for a wheelwrights plate, he turned me down because it wasn't cash, I guess if I offer him $320 for the plate he will take it.

Then he will pay a contractor $3000 to fix the shed, makes no sense to me.

I'm a bit put out that he cant see that its a good deal, but, hey, I'm not going to get ulcers over it, that's just the way it is. I will probably get the plate or another one like it, I keep the steel and spend an easy day fishing instead of slaving my guts out welding support purlins in the hot sun. win win for me :)  (and hopefully a big snapper to cook for a few friends)

I walked into an antique mall today. A 125 - 150lb Peter Wright Anvil in half decent condition was marked $325 I offered the clerk $190 and the man loses his mind, starts yelling and cussing at me asking if Im trying to get hm shot or something... a rather high strung individual. I thanked him for his time and left the store,

That's why I left the asylum. That would have earned that idiot a trip to the ER.

Same sort of deal, a little juntique store in a stripmall of similar, had a fairly bad set of farmer's tongs; but if you don't ask you won't know.  They wanted more than a set of good new tongs cost and I told him that I wasn't interested as I commonly bought such tongs much cheaper.  The owner went out and ranted to his helpers how folks wanted him to give stuff away.  BS I NEVER asked him to sell me them cheaper.  I just remarked that I commonly bought them cheaper and went on.

OTOH down the road a bit was a large antiques junkyard---several acres.  They had one postvise with broken off back jaw crudely repaired.  Screw and screwbox looked OK so I asked what they wanted $90!  I explained that I was buying vises in good working order for a lot less and was looking at it for repair parts.  He asked what I would give, $20; he countered with $25.  Nobody was angry. I didn't need it at that time and walked.  If I run across someone needing a screw and screwbox for a 4" vise I might stop back by.  I don't visit the place with the tongs anymore...