I Forge Iron

Wood Stove Shaker Style

post-74-0-03957400-1384129519_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-69780200-1384129550_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-32054200-1384129584_thumb.jpg

This is an 'early Turley' (snarf) made about 30 years ago and has been in use for our winters since that time. I got the idea from visiting an Old Chatham, NY, museum. The Shakers had a casting facility early on which they used for their stoves. I made mine of 1/4" and 3/16" M.S. plate, stick welded. It is made with a circuit, the heat rising through a 3" shaft/opening at the back onto a horizontal creosote-catching table before exiting the 6" stovepipe. The see-through aspect was used on the original as an oven, and had hinged oven doors on the side. We use it without a door to warm meals. I blocked off the left side with a tacked plate, because it faced the wall and we wanted most heat to come out the open side.

It has four legs and stands 35" tall. The firebox is 23" tall and 25" in length front to back. The firebox front measures 16" at the base and 13" wide at the top. The hinged draft door is built as part of the loading door. A similar door above is for creosote clean-out. I didn't install a damper in the stovepipe, as the draft door seems to be an adequate control.

One side of the stove would occasionally reach a dull red heat and from expansion and contraction over the years, I got a vertical fatique crack. One of my students, Taylor Vallot, graciously took the MIG to it for me. He also cleaned up a couple hairline cracks. Back in business.

A good little book, probably out of print, is "Shaker Iron and Tinware." Lots of drawings with dimensions, and including stoves.

That's a nice looking little stove Frank, I especially like the oven. Nothing bakes like a wood fired oven and a fresh pizza for lunch would be sweet.

They haven't been putting dampers in stoves for quite a while, they tend to increase creosote formation. How many sq/ft does it heat i what temp weather?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

We have a wooden extension onto an old trailer home, and it has insulation in the roof only. The addition has a high ceiling averaging 13' from the floor. So our floor square feet of 200 might not give you a workable figure. We live in the front portion with the stove and block off the back rooms.

Santa Fe winters are mild compared to the Midwest where I grew up. It gets below freezing at night, and the sun burns through during the day. It will very occasionally get near zero or below. When it does, we just stand next to the stove and hope for warmer weather. This morning at 6AM, the temperature was 35 degrees.

Frosty,

The Vermont castings folks still make stoves with dampers. I have a couple of the older models, a vigilant and a defiant. The defiant is large, takes a 24 in stick and will heat a 2000 sf house in a Maine winter. Their new models all have some sort of catylic device to reduce the creosote issues. They aren't cheap but they work great.

Peter